Best electric for the money

He's (vegaspaddy) right.... you need "Deep Cycle" batteries... the type they use in cars for starting are designed for maximum amps, but not for deep discharge.

It's worth considering all battery chemistries:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com

...get a "degree" in battery knowledge. (doesn't take that long)

For SLA batts, try Rage Battery. Jerry lewis at the san diego location is very helpful. I also agree with SAFE about Battery Univeristy. That site will get you up to speed fast.

Last edited:
Not all batteries are born equal.

Online there is a lot of info about the sla batteries on the ezip trailz, most of it not good.

Mine are still hanging in there.

I don't want to replace them with batteries with a lot of warnings and that include a fireproof case.

One of my friends has his own business and likes to use the new tools and the new batteries.

He has a box of them that went bad and won't charge. He says they worked then all the sudden they won't charge so he replaces them.

My bike is 24V and 450W so they say. That should not be more than 20 amps ? It has a 30 amp controller and a 40 amp fuse.

How much current should the batteries I pick be able to dump ?

The ones I showed said 30 amps. Is that not enough ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330430165777&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
"30Amps Continuous High Drain Capability (3C High Discharge Rate Means Lower Impedance)"

That's from the link... yes... wow... they have upgraded their batteries since I last checked, they used to be just 1C. (about a year ago)

Those would work.

I stand corrected, those are pretty good and 20 of them would just make a pack of 24 volts. So the total price ends up $120, plus you will need a charger which will add $20 or there abouts.

Thanks, I am going to give them a try. I will let everyone know how they work ! :cool:

I am in the process of rebuilding a "personal mobility" scooter for an 84 year old lady who is the mother of my next door neighbor. She has had it about 12 years, been through 5 sets of batteries on it, and it finally died on her. He is absolutely NOT mechanically inclined, so he asked me too look at it.

The motor is a reversible 24V 1 HP industrial motor with an attached gear casing , and the darned thing needed brushes, the commutator re-surfaced, and the gear box cleaned and re-lubed. I'm waiting on the brushes now. I went looking for good batteries for it, and found West Coast Batteries. They sell Odyssey brand military spec'd dry cell (AGM) batteries in a variety of sizes and amp hour apacities, at fair prices.

They are about as good as SLA batteries get.

Unexpected results with the sla powered Ezip Trailz.

When I first started riding I would use the motor a lot.

I started using the motor less and less.

Now I like to do my around the block 10 mile ride without running the motor at all.

Yesterday I took my light weight Raleigh ( no motor ) for the ride.

Wow ! ! ! The light weight Raleigh is faster than ever ! ! !

P.S. I can travel well over 20 miles with the Trailz on a single charge ! ! ! :D

Riding the sla powered Ezip Trailz has got me in the best bike riding shape I have ever been in ! ! ! :D

Trailz = Best electric for the money :bowdown:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/eZip-Trai...0000003260420&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11988713

Last edited:
Back