Best Material For Intake Gasket

yuckfoo

Local time
12:48 PM
None of the gaskets I have purchased have ever matched my intake or my cylinder. I've tried to cut them and they just shread apart leaving small clingy bits that would, no doubt, eventually work their way into the cylinder. I want to purchase a material so I can make my own. Looking for the right Fel-Pro material number or other ideas. I've heard about the cereal box method ... I'd rather go with something a little more professional.

None of the gaskets I have purchased have ever matched my intake or my cylinder. I've tried to cut them and they just shread apart leaving small clingy bits that would, no doubt, eventually work their way into the cylinder. I want to purchase a material so I can make my own. Looking for the right Fel-Pro material number or other ideas. I've heard about the cereal box method ... I'd rather go with something a little more professional.
Im going to be trying out some cork gaskets for the intake that Mark20 made for me as cork has the "give" necessary to match surfaces that could be slightly askew...Ive already got the gaskets as i ordered a few, just got to make the time to put one on...You should contact him to make up some for you as i feel this might just be the best way to go for an intake gasket...You will just need to know if your stud placement are 38mm or 40mm like mine is...DAMIEN

The Remflex that @DieselTech mentioned will get you there.
At over $30.00 a sheet, I'll pass. 😅

"The best fuel resistant gasket material for gasoline is Nitrile (Buna-N), a closed-cell sponge rubber material that provides excellent gasket material for sealing applications that require resistance to gasoline, oil, fuels, as well as solvents, hydraulic fluids, and mineral and vegetable oils."

Think I'll try and find some of this Buna-N.

No one will ever know you used a cereal box once it's squished between manifold and cylinder.

I've gone as far as using a paper grocery bag, they're perfect for setting the end play on my spitfire dizzy.

I have an order in with the gasket man too. Mark20. He's making some custom gaskets for me too. I want a better gasket then the tiny ones that break for the carbs I use. The green gasket stuff is the best I have used. I think it's really for water pipes. It like seals it's self to the pieces, but is still pretty easy to remove with a xacto knife.

I have an order in with the gasket man too. Mark20. He's making some custom gaskets for me too. I want a better gasket then the tiny ones that break for the carbs I use. The green gasket stuff is the best I have used. I think it's really for water pipes. It like seals it's self to the pieces, but is still pretty easy to remove with a xacto knife.
I did check out that link and was about to purchase some. I ended up going to ebay and finding 6 gaskets for $12. I'm making my own .66mm copper head gaskets. Perhaps in the future I'll make others.

Here is a intake gasket & base gasket made out of that green gasket, cut with a x'acto knife. That green gasket is good to 600°f & resists almost anything, oil, gas, alkldys, acids. & yes it's mainly used in water. The main reason I'm using it is because it has very little squish.The green gasket is impregnated with a cna resin/glue. Same ingredient that's in super glue. I'm not suggesting it's the best but damn good stuff.

Attachments

• 20211009_210829.jpg
    20211009_210829.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 116
Back