Big Legal Hitch With Street Lights/horn

Mike I know I have been giving you some greef. But whats with the tude. Dude we are here to help each other and suport each outher in ousr persute of mb heaven. you seen intent on mb He#$. I know that mb in Illmay techinicaly be illegal. But if you are not an a@@ you just might be able to ride your. If you can ride like a responsable adult.
No going over 30
No running stop lights or sighs.
No buzzing peds, cars or bikers.
Atlesta obeying the same laws that aply to a bike.
and if you are woried, ride on the side of the road off the pavement. as long as you are not in the street and not being a nussance the men in blue(or whate ever color there uniforms are ) should leave youalone.

With all the love and respect I can give. Jay AKA greenevegiebeast

It seems that if you have all that you can in order - just ride and if a ticket comes - go to court and fight - if I get into any troubles - jury trial for me - who would convict a person on a truly small motorized bicycle ? Not me or anyone that I know - that's for sure. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

In Illinois you cannot do this.

To register a vehicle, you need a title, and to get a title issued, you need a VIN#.

IL's registration system will not accept anything but federal-format 17-digit VIN#s. Bicycles have serial numbers, but don't have VIN#s at all. You can't legally make one up, and there's no way to get one from the IL Dept of Motor Vehicles.

{When a motor vehicle manufacturer applies a VIN# to a vehicle, they are stating that the vehicle qualifies into some federal classification of motor vehicles.... and there's no federal class of motor vehicles that bicycles could technically qualify under}
~

I just re-registered an old VW in Michigan that has a VIN that is 6 or 7 digits (something like that), they just fill in the rest of the space with leading zeroes. I am sure that IL probably does something similar, because some vehicles, especially older ones, do not have standardized VINs.

In my case, I registered my bike in Michigan. I was able to get a registration and license decal by using the SN as the VIN. But I have heard that it is easier in Michigan than IL to get any moped licensed.

When you decide to go with a black/white answer from the top, you sort of lose out on that wiggle room/gray area that can sometimes happen with the ground level employees. For example, I have no idea if my bike meets the letter of the law in Michigan, and I wouldn't have trusted the judgment of a disinterested police officer as to whether it was road-worthy. But a nice lady who hardly had any idea of what I was talking about listened, followed her procedures, and decided I had given her enough information to have a license sticker and registration issued.

I am not suggesting anybody lie (although I did stretch it a little when I said mine was a "Whizzer" that I restored, when it is now Whizzer-like and fixed up). I also don't think it will necessarily keep cops from bugging you, but I feel better about my position in any potential contact since I have some official paperwork and license sticker.

When you decide to go with a black/white answer from the top, you sort of lose out on that wiggle room/gray area that can sometimes happen with the ground level employees. .

Grey area I live there, Fot those of you who have seen some of the pics of"OVERKILL" she is not a MB she is a MT(moterized trike) Tx state law only mentions MB, motor scooters and motor cycles. Tx defines a mb as a two wheeled vehicle equiped with a motor eather by the factory ar the owner, not to exceed 38cc or 35 mph.
That leves my "OVERKILL" in a great big grey area, Im planning on obeying all the other laws set forth for a mb with the one exception of the extra wheel. luckly enough here in Tx we are not required to regester our mb. Unless you go over 38cc.

The reason that concerns me about legality in Illinois is that the police here can can be very unpleasant if they choose to. Illinois has some of the toughest vehicle laws, though I would say many of the laws, especially in regard to motorcycles are not inforced, like removing mufflers for loud drag pipes, etc. I'd like to know how many states allow motorized bicycles on the roads legally?

I live in a college town. basicaly, if you mind the rules of the road. are a good nabor, and are not a nusance the police leve you alone. They get a little upset if you ride on the side walks on campus.I have seen the police ticketing bikes for every thing from speeding(we have many streets on campus with a 10 mph speed limi) to running stop sighs( if you will niotice the transportation dpt puts stop signs in the worst place for bikes, the botem of a hill before a long clim, the middle of a long hill ect.) from what I have heard The local municipalitys have alot more to do withthe enforce ment of the motor laws. Once again, If you ride like the sain human being you seem to be they may just leave you alone. Just beware of the
'POWER HUNGRY " TYPE COP. tHEY ARE A PAIN TO EVERY ONE INCLUDING THEIR FELLOW OFICERS.

After solving the lighting problem and applying for a patent, I have come into a big legal problem. I wanted to apply for a moped license in Illinois and was told by Illinois Secretary of State that it is illegal in Illinois to install a motor on a bicycle frame. They are in the process of making a decision on this, but to date, a motorized bicycle is illegal on the streets even if it has all the
lighting/horn, etc. required by Illinois law for a motorcycle. I have to decide what to do. We were getting ready to make a video, and wanted to shoot with plates on the bike. What a bummer. The bike has turn signals, stop light, front halogen light and a horn, and is still illegal. Mike S

I assume that you're a citizen. you know, we live in the United States. We are supposed to be able to fix problems like this... Sounds like someone needs to write to their congress person.

just a thought from a Political Science major.
-waylow

I assume that you're a citizen. you know, we live in the United States. We are supposed to be able to fix problems like this... Sounds like someone needs to write to their congress person.

just a thought from a Political Science major.
-waylow

I have seen what waylow is talking about - WORK..

Some food for thought here ---
get in contact with local tv news
tell them that you have a good story for them (I have done this)
explain what's going on regarding MBs in your state
ask the news if they will go with you to your congress man or womans office
and when you get there
the reporter will ask of the congress person -- darn good questions.

Or - contact a prosecutor - ask for suggestions

Ride That Thing - from Mountainman

Last edited:
I have seen what waylow is talking about - WORK..

Some food for thought here ---
get in contact with local tv news
tell them that you have a good story for them (I have done this)
explain what's going on regarding MBs in your state
ask the news if they will go with you to your congress man or womans office
and when you get there
the reporter will ask of the congress person -- darn good questions.

Or - contact a prosecutor - ask for suggestions

Ride That Thing - from Mountainman

Great idea Mountainman!

Mike I just had a thought. check with some of the "Whixxer" experts. See how they regester them, the wizzer is basicaly a Motered bike. See if they have a vin #ect.
You might be ably to regester it as a "Whizzer Replica" under the replica vehicle laws. I do not know if it will work but it is worth a shot. Iwould hate to see That lighting system (that you will not show us :rolleyes:) go to waste.

Back