Bucking bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
With your clutch cover off, try turning the sprocket mechanically with a piece of wood or a pair of pliers with a cloth or piece of rubber to protect the sprocket etcetera, and see if the engine turns over. You should be able to hear it if it turns over the sound is like a metallic cough or wheeze almost, pretty much just the sound it makes when you start it up basically.

If it does turn over your Woodruff key is probably not an issue.

Clean and reassemble. Now try to ride it and see, does the engine turn over when you in let out the lever & let the clutch engage?

[EDIT: looks like it was the woodruff key - nicely solved!]

Yeah it was the woodruff key. It had fallen out when I removed sprocket . I did not even know it existed .
Anyway now it is running. Good . And with clutch engage it turns right over.

In my last post which was a bit long , I mentioned the use of ( anti chain lock up par) are you familiar with that or know if it is worth getting .

My thoughts on it's function... Well I don't see a sprocket getting jammed in the cover by the chain very often, I does happen but not usually if you have the chain tensioned well. You only see it happen when trying to pedal start, or when you let the throttle fall really low while the rear wheel is spinning, like say down a hill and the engine is turned off or let at an idle on the throttle, then the chain can get jumpy and bind in the cover.

If it has proper tension you are less likely to come across the issue, but if you do have it too often then you have either a loose chain or a badly worn sprocket in the motor or both. Usually giving the rear wheel a good hard tug backwards can free the chain, other times you will need to pull the cover off and really screw around with it to pop it free. In either case try to fix any extra slack in your chain before continuing to help minimize it happening again, the worst part about this is it can suddenly make your wheel lock and skid, second worse is it stops the engine so suddenly that it can actually damage it and seize the motor on you.

My thoughts on it's function... Well I don't see a sprocket getting jammed in the cover by the chain very often, I does happen but not usually if you have the chain tensioned well. You only see it happen when trying to pedal start, or when you let the throttle fall really low while the rear wheel is spinning, like say down a hill and the engine is turned off or let at an idle on the throttle, then the chain can get jumpy and bind in the cover.

If it has proper tension you are less likely to come across the issue, but if you do have it too often then you have either a loose chain or a badly worn sprocket in the motor or both. Usually giving the rear wheel a good hard tug backwards can free the chain, other times you will need to pull the cover off and really screw around with it to pop it free. In either case try to fix any extra slack in your chain before continuing to help minimize it happening again, the worst part about this is it can suddenly make your wheel lock and skid, second worse is it stops the engine so suddenly that it can actually damage it and seize the motor on you.

Those are good points , and after thinking about it one of the things you mentioned stuck out in my mind . when the throttle is off and you let it idle fall low that can naturally happen , but at the time I thought well something is wrong but it sound like your saying it is just the natural response to a quickly decreased throttle with no torque on engine . Because now that I think about it the chain seems pretty good when going down the road using throttle .

I'm not going to need to pack the excess space in the sprocket cover area because I am going for a shift kit build which doesn't have a long chain there;
but it was pointed out in an earlier thread (sorry I cant remember who to credit) that epoxy resin (JB Weld etc) is ideal for this.

If you decide to do Jaguar's transfer port redirection mod then you can use the JB Weld that is left over afterwards.
http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/transfers.html

Glad to hear you found the woodruff key and that sorted your original question. :)

I'm not going to need to pack the excess space in the sprocket cover area because I am going for a shift kit build which doesn't have a long chain there;
but it was pointed out in an earlier thread (sorry I cant remember who to credit) that epoxy resin (JB Weld etc) is ideal for this.

If you decide to do Jaguar's transfer port redirection mod then you can use the JB Weld that is left over afterwards.
http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/transfers.html

Glad to hear you found the woodruff key and that sorted your original question. :)
Have not been on in a couple of days ,

Thanks for the updated info I will try to find thread , and the (jaguar's transfer) mod looks promising , I will have to think about undertaking something to that degree , I have never taken cylinder out before , but looks like a great project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back