Buyer Aware

My earlier post should have read "the roller would slip in the wet".........belts don't slip.
Sorry guys about my communication mistake & thanks bamabikeguy,well spotted.

My earlier post should have read "the roller would slip in the wet".........belts don't slip.
Sorry guys about my communication mistake & thanks bamabikeguy,well spotted.

No problemo-

I've ridden a lot of different types, but in the Japanese engines, I'd say, the decibel levels of the 4 strokes are half of the 2 cycles, and of the (2's), the Tanaka 33 is quieter than the obsolete Zenoah 25's, with the Tanaka 40's being the loudest rumbler. Jack uses 49 cc pocket rockets with GEBE setups, and those are by far the noisiest.

Because they are behind the rider makes them even more comfortable to the ear, and you will be amazed when riding with others, or watching one pass 50 feet away, how they are definitely a lot quieter than a weed blower.

Jemma, Hive and others have tried to use conduit as home-made mufflers, and I think that idea has promise, just needs more tweaking.

Got link?

How about the Robin Subaru EHO35 chain drive for $529, You don't really need the Nuvinci hub in the Salem, Ma. area.Plus it adds 8lbs. more. My first kit was a GEBE with the same motor, it's a very reliable and quiet motor, no gas/oil mixing, it starts VERY easily, but I highly recommend the chain drive, it's by far the most reliable kit out there. I run mine from Lawrence to Peabody 3 or 4 times a week, it just keeps on going. If you're over200 lbs. like I am , I'd recommend the Mitsubishi TLE43, it's louder than the Robin but it's still pretty quiet and it will give you the extra hp to pull your weight . The Staton kit is harder to install but is well worth the effort.
$529? Link? I am commuting from Boston to Salem via 99 and down main streets which have some steep hills.

it's hard to beat the Robin !!!
If there was a MAJOR advantage in choosing the Robin i'de go with it but i chose the Honda....both are very similar.
Now if i was living in the Northern Hemisphere & could get the engine & any parts easily i'de probably go with the Robin;probably.

If there was a MAJOR advantage in choosing the Robin i'de go with it but i chose the Honda....both are very similar.
Now if i was living in the Northern Hemisphere & could get the engine & any parts easily i'de probably go with the Robin;probably.

There are two main differences.

Last time I checked, about 2 years ago, Honda does not warranty applications not officially their own (pressure washers/generators, etc.)

And they offshored their small engines to Thailand, no longer chrome line the cylinder wall in order to save costs.

Staton does a side by side comparison, "Which engine is better? Robin - Subaru EH035 or Honda GX35?", and he comes down if favor of the R/S.

He deals with both, and I'm GUESSING the warranty is just as important as the cylinder linings in his mind.

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3234

All Robin Engines Have One Thing
in Common— Quality!
All models offer heavy-duty features including aluminum alloy blocks with Cast Iron Cylinder Liner, electronic ignition with automatic timing adjustment, dual ball bearing supported crankshaft, automatic decompression system, and splash type lubrication. Optional features available on selected models

Cast Iron always seemed better than Aluminum sleeved, in my mind, its why I chose it for my personal recumbent ride.

I have only used 2 Honda 35 engines, on the 2007 Worksman PAV builds (in the Trike section), but now that I've installed 10-15 of the R/S, I can tell the difference. Once you prime the pump on the R/S, it seems you never have to push the bubble again.

Even Staton's descriptions denote a difference, more horsepower:

Subaru EHO35 33.5 cc 1.60 HP Four Cycle Engine
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3086

Honda GX35 35.8 cc 1.30 hp Four Cycle Engine.
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=2822

As to the warranty, Honda builds its own power equipment (mowers, generators, etc ) using their engines, which have a full warranty.

Honda also sells engines on the secondary market, which when I installed those 2007 Worksman builds, and read (2 years ago) it specifically said they don't warranty any uses not of their own making. If a customer bought a Honda Water Pump, warranty. If a customer bought an engine, then designed and built his own pump, no warranty.

In other words, if the Honda unit had a defect, the customer was on his own because the build was not done by an official dealer.

That may have changed, I don't know. They may offer a full warranty in Australia, again, I don't know, and I also don't know why Robin Subaru isn't marketing identically over in Oz.

What I do know is Robin Subaru and Tanaka both seem to be catering directly to our unique MB business. When I sell a Robin/Subaru or a Tanaka, I know GEBE will stand behind it and the manufacturers too.

So, my point is, this MB member has asked in separate threads what the "best/quietest" engine is, and based on my experiences, if a Honda was available immediately, and a Robin Subaru was on 1 month back order, I'd wait the month.

Last edited:
There are two main differences.

Last time I checked, about 2 years ago, Honda does not warranty applications not officially their own (pressure washers/generators, etc.)

And they offshored their small engines to Thailand, no longer chrome line the cylinder wall in order to save costs.

Not sure the point your trying to make there man,however a genuine Honda engine is a genuine Honda engine & a genuine Honda warranty is a genuine Honda warranty(from whomever,provided it's recognised)
Hopefually never the genuine twain shall meet.

Unless u can provide proof(via ACTUAL comparison tests or FIRM data) that chrome lined cylinder walls have major benefits over the updated system their using now & therefore should be a high contributing factor in someones purchase decision i'll stick with what i have.
Honda is recognised as a WORLD LEADER in small engine technology & i doubt they would build anything that even sniffs of inferiority.
I still support what i said earlier though.....i'de probably choose the Robin if i was in a different location & had access to more choices.

Back