Cannot get HT to fire up

yeah, that's right Irish, brown bag was waxed as I recall, was 1975 at the time. And now as I remember, was warned to be carefull to not open the bag till ready for use. That makes sense now, the kettle was boiling, ( no auto off in them days, too much of a luxary) and had to rush out to turn it off, then that makes perfect sense, the mechanic had to use it straight away. Gee thanks I Irish, often wondered why they all panicked.
Turned out though, the Jag still did not fire up again, was out of fuel after all. I did try to tell them the gauge showed low when I drove it back after dropping off the customer, ( customer service back then, but took the long way, hey, E-Type V12 Jag, who would'nt ? ) but no one listens to an apprentice, just make the coffee, be told and get some more of that Blue Compression.

We couldn't make coffee Bolts, cos rationing hadn't ended in Ireland until 1956 and we had to make do with tea but real mechanics lived on tea from chipped enamel mugs.
Down in Aus you had everything available and huge wage packets to drive out in your Humber Sceptres and buy what you liked. By the time I arrived here you were all driving "Toyota Corroders" and that's probably why Blue Compression wasn't needed much any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back