Can't get bike over 23MPH

I'm just thinking in my head, where are there seals under the clutch cover. I am not in front of my bike right now so I'm just trying to understand before doing this.

I am watching a video on this as we speak. Can I use carb cleaner? Is it even safe to spray next to the magnet that looks like a spool of sewing thread? So just for clarification. Idle the bike and then aim and spray behind the magnet?

Carb cleaner generally is pretty acidic/ corrosive. I wouldn't. I use starter/starting fluid, or if it comes down to it, use a spray bottle with water. The seals are behind the magnet on that side. Spray as best under the magnet as you can. On the clutch side spray under the small bevel gear the best you can. Those are the two crank seals.

Honestly, maybe it's worth pulling the jug and taking a look at the piston to see if the rings actually seated themselves properly. My bike wouldn't go above around that speed before it broke in.

Carb cleaner generally is pretty acidic/ corrosive. I wouldn't. I use starter/starting fluid, or if it comes down to it, use a spray bottle with water. The seals are behind the magnet on that side. Spray as best under the magnet as you can. On the clutch side spray under the small bevel gear the best you can. Those are the two crank seals.
I'm assuming idle it and see if it stalls or rpms drop?
Honestly, maybe it's worth pulling the jug and taking a look at the piston to see if the rings actually seated themselves properly. My bike wouldn't go above around that speed before it broke in.
I had a horrible experience the last time I took the top off. I ended up breaking both piston rings. I could not for the life of me get the cylinder back over the rings. What do rings look like before and after seating?

I'm assuming idle it and see if it stalls or rpms drop?

I had a horrible experience the last time I took the top off. I ended up breaking both piston rings. I could not for the life of me get the cylinder back over the rings. What do rings look like before and after seating?

How about brake cleaner? Any better? If not I'll just use some water.
Yes, if it stalls or rpms drop there is a leak.

The easiest way to tell I've found is if there is any carbon buildup beneath the rings. There shouldn't be. I'm sure there are better ways to tell specifically with the rings but I am not sure.

I remember that thread. Honestly it's not hard just dont use any damn gloves like you did and squeeze the rings by hand as they go into the jug and it's fairly easy.

Yes, if it stalls or rpms drop there is a leak.

The easiest way to tell I've found is if there is any carbon buildup beneath the rings. There shouldn't be. I'm sure there are better ways to tell specifically with the rings but I am not sure.

I remember that thread. Honestly it's not hard just dont use any damn gloves like you did and squeeze the rings by hand as they go into the jug and it's fairly easy.
I did read about a guy using a hose clamp around the rings, then puts the top on and pushes down and the hose clamp goes down too. I'd be afraid of the hose clamp scratching the piston

Honestly it's not hard just dont use any damn gloves like you did and squeeze the rings by hand as they go into the jug and it's fairly easy.
I did read about a guy using a hose clamp around the rings, then puts the top on and pushes down and the hose clamp goes down too. I'd be afraid of the hose clamp scratching the piston
If my 67 year old rhuematoid arthritic hands can do this, I'm sure you can too...lol...Ditch the gloves and hose clamps...You will develope the "feel" with your bare hands and probably avoid breaking the rings whilst your at it...lol.

Honestly it's easy with just hands. No gloves. Squeeze the rings with one hand (making sure the pin is centered in the ring gap), smack the jug down with the other. Then do the exact same with the next ring. I've done it proabably 8 times now.

Honestly it's easy with just hands. No gloves. Squeeze the rings with one hand (making sure the pin is centered in the ring gap), smack the jug down with the other. Then do the exact same with the next ring. I've done it proabably 8 times now.
Pin?

It is also helpful to lightly oil coat the cylinder as this will make it even easier for the piston and rings to slide in more easily

YEP...pin...There is a slight protrusion inside of the grooves where the rings fit onto the piston,,,the open ends of the rings press against these little protrusion pins keeping the rings from spinning around etc...VERY IMPORTANT...Make sure that the pins are aimed to the intake part of motor when putting it all back together...NOT THE EXHAUST SIDE.

Back