Chains Chain too much slack but can't knock out link

CrispyLeaves98

Local time
5:22 AM
Hello! There is too much chain slack but I can't pop out another link or it gets too short, open to anything. (Removing the tensioner doesn't help.)

Attachments

• IMG_20210826_164404.jpg
    IMG_20210826_164404.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 158
I've wondered about using a half link. I would like to take out a link of my chain and move the tensioner forward more, but taking out a full link is too much. Half links are available through most shops.

half_link_600x.jpg

Anyone got any tips for snapping a chain link back together? Non master link.
How are you at juggling? To rivet a chain on the bike takes a hammer, a punch and a dollie. Hold the dollie behind the chain and tap the rivet in, then use your punch to spread the rivet to keep it from coming out. To center the rivet on the chain, hold an adjustable wrench behind the chain with the jaws spread just enough for the rivet to pass through a bit.

If your rear wheel dropout is horizontal you probably don't need a half link. My dropout is vertical and a half link was the answer for me. Note: when you break your chain to install it, DO NOT push the pin completely out of the side link. It will be a LOT easier to push it back through the half link this way.

How are you at juggling? To rivet a chain on the bike takes a hammer, a punch and a dollie. Hold the dollie behind the chain and tap the rivet in, then use your punch to spread the rivet to keep it from coming out. To center the rivet on the chain, hold an adjustable wrench behind the chain with the jaws spread just enough for the rivet to pass through a bit.
So much easier to use a chain press with the right anvil for reassembly.

Back