Change 1 inch steerer frame to fit 1 1/8 forks

My caged ball and cup head set blew in from China. I'm happy to report that this has reduced the length of the head tube by about 1/2 inch compared to the sealed bearing set, so the forks fit without having to lengthen the steerer tube. Yah!
Great when things work out as you think they should. Small victories once and a while.

That's great news! There's just not that much movement in the caged bearings compared to sealed bearings on a jack shaft. Sealed bearings might be easier to install if you're building a custom frame. Thanks for the update.

That's great news! There's just not that much movement in the caged bearings compared to sealed bearings on a jack shaft. Sealed bearings might be easier to install if you're building a custom frame. Thanks for the update.
I did put sealed bearings on the one that I welded the 1 5/8 pipe onto and it is very smooth in comparison. Just seems like an improvement over the caged set up but the cages have been proven in the test of time and are very inexpensive.

Back