Clutch Cable broke.

Busaman

Local time
4:16 AM
My cable broke today right where it goes through the "holding" bolt before it connects to the actual clutch arm. I tried to lift the arm on the clutch off so I can rotate it a spline or 2 more toward that housing so it wouldn't bind so much, but it wouldn't budge. So is this common for the cables to break in this area you think?

It's not uncommon for cables to break & always a good idea to carry a spare(particularly if your going on a long ride)
Bike shops sell wire inserts only,or buy the full cable with sheeth from many places.
Get stainless steel cable if possible.

My cable broke today right where it goes through the "holding" bolt before it connects to the actual clutch arm. I tried to lift the arm on the clutch off so I can rotate it a spline or 2 more toward that housing so it wouldn't bind so much, but it wouldn't budge. So is this common for the cables to break in this area you think?

When replacing the cable, adjust the cable holder so the cable will be in a direct line to the clutch arm. As far as common to break there I'd say yes as if the holder is not right the cable rubs against the tube. As far as the arm, I've never taken one off but my son whom is not all that mechanically minded did it without a problem..he did it because he read it here. Loosen the nut a couple of threads, remove the plate, then remove the arm, insert it in a vise (loosely) a slight tap on the nut should do it.

before I re-insert my new cable
I like to get a small amount of grease on my fingers
and run that cable through the grease a couple or few times
then run it back through the cable casing

makes those cable THINGS super smooth -- and they will usually last much longer

as we ride those MB THINGS

Back