Coaster brake use w/ FD

Whizzerd

Local time
9:51 PM
Hello all! Getting ready to do a rear friction drive and was wondering about coaster brake use. Any issues? Any help is much appreciated!

Coaster brakes are ok, just make sure it is not your only brake.

On "The Dragon Lady", my twin-engined girlie cruiser, the rear coaster brake were helped out by front v-brake as it left the showroom. Then I installed a rear v-brake and kept the coaster brake too.

Ya can't have too much braking power when motorizing a bicycle.:geek:

my opinions

the bit of experience i have that applies here depends on: what kind of drive?

friction/direct NO to coaster is what i'd guess, there'd be a lot going on for a hub with no "true" freewheeling...

if it's a centrifugal clutch setup, which is what i have most of my experience with, i can assure you with proper handling a coaster will do just fine.

only a guess and only an opinion..."build smart" is what i say :)

coaster input:
the basic steel-rim/105G/shimano cb-e110 has proven itself dependable and an affordable minimum standard across the entire spectrum of motorized bicycling, i've had or seen (in real-life, and/or on MBc) every kind of MB drive successfully combined with one. they go for around $50 + shipping...you maybe can find the "hi-stop" version for a few dollars less, don't do it.

MORE coaster input: never EVER use a coaster brake without a good front brake :helmet:

Thanks Guys! The rear wheel I'm planning on is a dbl. walled steel rim w/ 12 ga. ss spokes and Shimano 110 coaster brake. I have a Husky HD front wheel w/ drum brake on the way. HD thornproof tube also on that Husky order for the rear. I thought about using a layer of friction tape over the nipples(pasties?) and the rim strip over that. Sounds like tire liners can be a pain. Probably sounds like a dumb ? since the unit is c.c., but just wanted to be sure. Thanks again.

Back