complications and decisions, decisions, decisions....

GreenMantis

Local time
3:32 PM
I bought the jackshaft kit, but it turns out that my bike has a one piece crank, and this complicates matters. Unfortunately for me, I outgrew bicycles a long time before I got my degree in automechanics, and this is actually the first bicycle I have ever really worked on, so it's been full of stupid little surprises like that blindsiding me. The best part of that is that somehow I have to extrapolate everything that I need without ever seeing any of it. Oh, joy. At first, I thought I needed a bottom bracket, and bottom bracket adapter, and the bearings to fit, but I think this thing is supposed to cover all of that, I would just have to use the tapered shaft from the jackshaft kit?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Co...281767?hash=item440d8033a7:g:KO4AAOSwCOZZzEYX

One of my very, very favorite kind of jobs on cars is the old "customer took it apart themselves, and can't figure out how to put it back together again", especially if some of the parts are missing, this feels like that. Most mechanics won't even try, I will, but by the hour for as long as it takes with no promises of any kind. I recently inherited a Ruger Standard MkIII I like to call "Humpty Dumpty", since it came to me as a bag full of parts, that was fun. And it was missing a few, too. Those are notorious for being hard to assemble even from just field stripped, but I owned one before, and already knew the secret trick to them. And the best part was that as it turns out, there is no way to field strip the MkIII without an empty magazine, and since it didn't come to me with one, I assume the last owner never had one. So his "solution" was to knock out the pins in the lower frame, and let all the parts sort of just fall into the frame, so it was every single little piece, loose in the bag, not just major components. This project has that kind of feel, but without the availability of any diagrams. It's so much fun to try to picture what is missing, when you have never seen it before. I have actually put together more than one car that came to me in pieces, and the best part was they were all usually so rare that I had never personally ever seen one before. I should be good at this, but I have never worked on bicycles at all. At least with cars, I have a pretty good idea of what everything is and does.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I bought the jackshaft kit, but it turns out that my bike has a one piece crank, and this complicates matters. Unfortunately for me, I outgrew bicycles a long time before I got my degree in automechanics, and this is actually the first bicycle I have ever really worked on, so it's been full of stupid little surprises like that blindsiding me. The best part of that is that somehow I have to extrapolate everything that I need without ever seeing any of it. Oh, joy. At first, I thought I needed a bottom bracket, and bottom bracket adapter, and the bearings to fit, but I think this thing is supposed to cover all of that, I would just have to use the tapered shaft from the jackshaft kit?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Co...281767?hash=item440d8033a7:g:KO4AAOSwCOZZzEYX

One of my very, very favorite kind of jobs on cars is the old "customer took it apart themselves, and can't figure out how to put it back together again", especially if some of the parts are missing, this feels like that. Most mechanics won't even try, I will, but by the hour for as long as it takes with no promises of any kind. I recently inherited a Ruger Standard MkIII I like to call "Humpty Dumpty", since it came to me as a bag full of parts, that was fun. And it was missing a few, too. Those are notorious for being hard to assemble even from just field stripped, but I owned one before, and already knew the secret trick to them. And the best part was that as it turns out, there is no way to field strip the MkIII without an empty magazine, and since it didn't come to me with one, I assume the last owner never had one. So his "solution" was to knock out the pins in the lower frame, and let all the parts sort of just fall into the frame, so it was every single little piece, loose in the bag, not just major components. This project has that kind of feel, but without the availability of any diagrams. It's so much fun to try to picture what is missing, when you have never seen it before. I have actually put together more than one car that came to me in pieces, and the best part was they were all usually so rare that I had never personally ever seen one before. I should be good at this, but I have never worked on bicycles at all. At least with cars, I have a pretty good idea of what everything is and does.
Thats quite a story. You took me on a journey there. Do you smoke pot or something?! :p

" I think this thing is supposed to cover all of that, I would just have to use the tapered shaft from the jackshaft kit?
"

That comes with a square taper spindle, already.
But I think it has too few bearings and way too much cage, personally. It is a bit cheap. I like the sealed bearing type much better (in "customers who viewed this also looked at" down at the bottom of the page). Sealed bearings are much nicer IMHO, never loosens up until the bearings wear out, no maintenance except to throw some new standard bearings in there when needed. :)

So you got a square taper spindle with your jackshaft kit too? Can we see it please? Also which kit did you get? The SBP "Shift Kit" (which version?), or the knockoff jackshaft kit?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
It's legal now! And the dispenseries are popping up everywhere! It's closer than 7-11!

If you got the j shaft kit from sickbikeparts. you would have gotten a 3 piece crank set with it. They sell a adapter for your original 1 piece crank to convert to the 3 piece crank needed to make the j shaft work. If you didn't get it from SBP contact them, tell them what your doing, and they will provide you with what you need to complete your build for a nominal price as you may still need a bottom bracket cartridge, free wheel, cranks,sprockets, and adapter.http://sickbikeparts.com/bottom-bracket-adapters/

Last edited:
It's legal now! And the dispenseries are popping up everywhere! It's closer than 7-11!
I live in Southern Ont. in a small city outside a big city (Toronto) and the area population is around 10 million,marajauna is about to be legal here next summer and these dispenseries are like a virus spreading out to every little town or area they can.There are over 60 just in this area alone and still new ones open every day it's crazy.

I live in Southern Ont. in a small city outside a big city (Toronto) and the area population is around 10 million,marajauna is about to be legal here next summer and these dispenseries are like a virus spreading out to every little town or area they can.There are over 60 just in this area alone and still new ones open every day it's crazy.
And that's a hell of a business to get into, it's all cash money. And the banks won't take it, since they are afraid it's somehow contaminated. Another business that popped up is an armored car company that specializes in dispenseries, they have a "money laundering service", that isn't what it sounds like, they mean it literally. They wash the cash in washing machines with special detergent so the banks will take it. Go figure. I wonder what they do with all that cash they make?
You make it sound like it's a bad thing. Legalizing it will destroy the black market, and any crime that went with it. Despite the propaganda to the contrary, the fact is, "drug related" crime cannot exist without first enforcing "drug related" laws. And they tax the hell out of it, causing the local government to suffer a severe cash surplus, everywhere but California, since they just don't know how to control their spending. Colorado's government is drowning in money, and they don't know what to do about it.

I'm back to the bike again, today, as the crank adapter kit will show up with the mail today. Also, my chain broke again, this is the 4th time in only the first 2 tankfulls of fuel. I'm not sure what that's about, but I'm sick of it. I was forewarned by the seller I got my kit from (I have no idea which version it is, other than it's a newer one, it has the outer plate and extra bearing to support the shaft on both sides of the sprocket, and it came with a square tapered spindle) that the sprockets would likely be too thick for the bicycle chain to the rear wheel. My plan for that is to weld 2 rear sprockets together, to double the thickness, and use 420 chain to the rear wheel. I'm using an internally geared, 3 speed hub, so there won't be a deraileur involved. What other ways of dealing with that are there? The seller said some people grind down the sprocket so it fits the smaller chain, but I don't want to do that. Bigger chain sounds like a better solution. In any case, it's time to take the bike back apart......

I just got the bottom bracket conversion kit, and it looks to be exactly what I need, except that it's not going to work with the tapered shaft that came with the jackshaft kit. However, the one that came with the conversion kit looks like it will work just as well, they are the same length, and have the same size ends and everything. I don't know why the jackshaft kit included one of it's own to confuse me, but I guess there is only one way to find out.

I have been working at this for a few days, now, the fitting of the jackshaft kit isn't the simplest operation. The bearings that came with the tapered shaft adapter were garbage, and I had use the old ones. One thing I only just realized is that I can't use momentum to start the engine, now, because of the freewheel. In fact, I haven't been able start the engine at all. I have been using my electric front hub motor for that, but that won't work anymore. I didn't anticipate that. It seems that with the jackshaft kit installed, pedal power is the only way to start the engine. I suppose it wouldn't make much of a difference if it weren't for the fact that I have both electric and gas motors on mine, but it's very inconvenient. In any case, it's still not finished, and I have only had one shake down ride, and it still has a long way to go, yet. There is entirely too much friction going on, somewhere, so something still isn't right. With my version of the kit, aligning the sprockets for the engine and the shaft is easy enough, but getting the crank sprockets aligned is proving to be difficult. I'm doing by facing the inside of the shaft sprocket down to fit on my belt sander.
And my coaster brake won't work, now, either, I had to add a rear rim brake, so now I have two levers on the left, which is also inconvenient.

I have been working at this for a few days, now, the fitting of the jackshaft kit isn't the simplest operation. The bearings that came with the tapered shaft adapter were garbage, and I had use the old ones. One thing I only just realized is that I can't use momentum to start the engine, now, because of the freewheel. In fact, I haven't been able start the engine at all. I have been using my electric front hub motor for that, but that won't work anymore. I didn't anticipate that. It seems that with the jackshaft kit installed, pedal power is the only way to start the engine. I suppose it wouldn't make much of a difference if it weren't for the fact that I have both electric and gas motors on mine, but it's very inconvenient. In any case, it's still not finished, and I have only had one shake down ride, and it still has a long way to go, yet. There is entirely too much friction going on, somewhere, so something still isn't right. With my version of the kit, aligning the sprockets for the engine and the shaft is easy enough, but getting the crank sprockets aligned is proving to be difficult. I'm doing by facing the inside of the shaft sprocket down to fit on my belt sander.
And my coaster brake won't work, now, either, I had to add a rear rim brake, so now I have two levers on the left, which is also inconvenient.
Two levers on the left looks cool. ;)
Which kit did you buy? The Sick Bike Parts Shift Kit, or a Chinese knockoff jackshaft kit?
Which bottom bracket conversion kit did you buy? The Sick Bike Parts bottom bracket conversion kit, or one off eBay/Amazon?
Got any pictures of your project? :)

I'm not sure, I put a link to the bottom bracket kit on this thread, and since it's apart right now, anyway, here is what I am working with. It's supposed to be the SBP kit, and I didn't buy it from China.

Well, guess I won't be posting any pictures, I tried but it's not doing it.

Back