complications and decisions, decisions, decisions....

I got mine to work after some adjusting. It's not as easy to start with the freewheel, but I can start it. It likes the gears.

Well this project is dead. The sprag clutch in the cranks broke. I removed the jackshaft, but I can't use the rear sprocket with the gear hub, since the hole is too small. I have another bike, but it has disc brakes, and I'm not sure how I'll get a sprocket on that, either. Anybody have any ideas? And on top of that, I have a tricycle, too, that I came into that is just screaming for a motor. That might be the easiest one to go forward with. I want to build a 4 stroke. I have an idea of possibly drilling new holes in the sprocket, and replacing the brake rotor with it, and using the sprocket as the rotor at the same time. I'm not sure if that will work or not, but I am out of ideas.

I don't know what a sprag clutch is, but if you mean the free wheel in the bottom bracket you can get a new one from sickbikes.com. Spend the extra for the heavy duty one and it will last well.

I know what a sprag clutch is and you definitely didn't get one of those very expensive items in the Chinese jackshaft kit.
I say get the White Industries HD freewheel from SBP, too. :)

sickbikeparts.com

I didn't like the jackshaft kit, it made my bike entirely too hard to start. I also use an electric front hub motor, and got used to using that to assist starting the engine. But the sprockets from that will be useful when and if I put a motor on the trike. I still don't know how I'm going to get a sprocket onto the back wheel of any of my 2 wheelers. One has a hub shifter, and the other as disc brakes.

This looks like it might actually work! The hole in the sprocket is the right size, or close enough, anyway. I have a 44T that's too big, and it's dished so that the teeth are offset, that won't work, and a 36T that's too small, so I'm thinking that a 40T would work best. But even if I can't use the caliper, and have to use a rim brake, it's still a solution to how to mount the sprocket on a rim with a brake disc. Maybe I should make another thread and follow it's progress. This, imo, is better than the sprocket and rubber thingies on the spokes, or even the adapter that mounts onto the hub. First, I think I'll get a 40T sprocket, drill the new holes in it, and polish it up on my belt sander. The sprocket is thicker than the brake disc, but will still fit into the caliper, with some adjustment of the pad spacing, it should be fine.

UPDATE: OHHH, LOOK WHAT I FOUND!
http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit-parts/drivetrain/40-tooth-rear-disc-brake-sprocket.html

Last edited:
Will that 3 speed hub hold up to being motorized?

It held up better than the shift kit did. I'm done with that, though, I didn't like it. I have found a sprocket that will fit on with the hub, so I guess it's going to go back the way it was.

Back