Couldn't find a simple answer. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks a lot for the responses. Glad I wasn't to far off at 12lbs. I'm havin a little issue with some leaking around the head. I'm gonna try to resurface it lightly as I noticed it has minor surface issues. I'm also going to make a new gasket and see if that helps. I found some useful information on the process browsing the forums and some decent youtube videos. Thanks again guys.

tight enough so they stay on but dont break?

i dont bother with torque wrenches... 99% of the time.

use teflon tape for the head gasket. i feel like i always say that...
but seriously. teflon tape is the BEST material for head gaskets. just twist a length of it into a string and think a bit.

yep, plain old white ptfe plumbers tape.

I honestly don't even own a torque wrench. when you've been messing with this stuff for more than a few years you can just feel what's right.

the only times I've ever needed a torque wrench I just rented them.

I looked for a straight forward answer to a pretty simple question but was having trouble finding one.

I would just like to know how tight should I torque the head bolts on my 66cc engine?

I've heard 12 and also 15 on the torque wrench but not sure what is optimal? Honestly I got to 12 and became fearful that I was gonna strip something out so I stopped. Any suggestions?

I just gained access to the forum and this is my first post outside of the introduction. So thanks again for access and I look forward to being a part of this forum!

the paperwork i received with my gt5a says 10ft lbs. i'm sure you could tighten a little more but be careful these engines use cheap aluminum and strip easily

I buy Skyhawk kits, always turn the head around and usually paint it, and torque my heads in an X pattern 5# at a time to 20#.
50 or so 2-stroke builds and never had a blown head gasket or broken bolt or stripped engine.

Back