Custom Motor Mounts: 70's Puch Cruiser

Since my first post this is what I have done. I had some problems getting the bottom to mount at the 75 degrees it was suppose to. I added the top mount to take some of the load off the bottom mount. I have replaced the acorn nut since taking this photo with two stainless steel nuts. I sandwiched the mount between them so it doesn't vibrate the head right off. It's rough looking but I have fabricated nice black covers to go over the mounts. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 2013-04-22 15.04.27.jpg
    2013-04-22 15.04.27.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 891
  • 2013-04-22 15.04.15.jpg
    2013-04-22 15.04.15.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 659
  • 2013-04-11 14.32.41.jpg
    2013-04-11 14.32.41.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 671
Oh no, you drilled a hole in the top tube and seat tube! You've just weakened the frame. That engine is going to vibrate and cause damage to the frame. It's now a death trap since you don't know when the frame is going to split - it will! It's not if, but when it will split. Your frame is ruined!!!

That rear mount doesn't look that solid. I'd look for something else. All Acorn nuts need to go and replace with some metric shoulder nuts grade 8 or higher.

Here's a good primer on setting up your engine from a forum member AI.Fersherman:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit

If you can't view Google Docs, I believe it is listed as a Sticky in the 2 stroke section of this forum.

Look at some other builds posted here before rebuilding, so you don't make the same mistake.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

I would agree with you if this were an aluminium bike frame. The holes are brazed and reinforced with grade 8 tubes. The bolts fit nice and snug. The back motor mount is pretty rough. I just ordered an aluminium block so I can mill a real nice back mount. I don't think I ruined the frame but we will see what happens when I take it down the road :cry:

Well, I might stand corrected if the holes are brazed with grade 8 tubes. Glad you were thinking before me. Time will tell.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Its all good. My heart sank a little thinking ive ruined the frame. Just in case, im going to dig out the welder tomorrow. I was trying to avoid ugly weld lines.

Back