Derringer to Deathstar

Hey folks,
I’m starting to gather components for my first build. My base is a Firmstrong cruiser I got off Craigslist for $15. The frame has a bit of surface rust but in good condition otherwise. Initially, I was going for a Derringer build but the Royal Enfield gas tank is a bit taller than the one they use. My tank looks bulky compared to the Derringer, so I decided to go in a different direction.

Attachments

• 046499B7-02C3-4215-ABBA-776B4D247719.png
    046499B7-02C3-4215-ABBA-776B4D247719.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 610
Ooh I found another 1" option. Picked up another Italian made Marzocchi for "the museum" (my second bedroom) recently, a 1998 Bomber Z3 Light. It has a 1" steerer tube which is replaceable because it's fitted (with a shim) into the 1&1/8" crown which is secured with pinch bolts. It has short (80mm) travel (different years may have 65-100mm travel) and of course it's open bath damping, like a motorcycle! :)
I was thinking about buying a 1&1/8" RST replacement steerer so I can use it on one of my bikes, but idk I might just try to sell it on to a retro MTB enthusiast. In UK unfortunately.
The Z3 Light only cost me £36 including the postage cost and would you believe those stantions are 20 years old? That's (pre 2007) quality. :)
View attachment 80757 View attachment 80758 View attachment 80759 View attachment 80760
Only problem is it's a Formula Standard disc caliper mount, not International Standard, so it would need adapting to use any modern disc brake.

That's an amazing find!
I didn't know you could shim a 1-1/8" crown to fit with a 1" steer tube. How does that work in regards to the crown race?

That's an amazing find!
I didn't know you could shim a 1-1/8" crown to fit with a 1" steer tube. How does that work in regards to the crown race?
I didn't know I was getting a 1" steerer, the eBay ad said it was 1&1/8" so I'm not really happy lol! RST steerers are £15 and about $19 in the USA from what I read. I'll probably just try to sell this on as it is and recoup the cost.. Properly listed as 1" might sell for more. My retro MTB museum is a bit too full anyway. :rolleyes:

The Z3 Light has two pinch bolts on the back of the crown, unlike most crowns (even back then) that are cryofit.
The RST steerers in 1" size actually come with a shim too. Idk which RST model/s had a replaceable steerer, I'm guessing it's pretty old and basic ones now. RST actually make some reasonable stuff now but back in the day they were renowned for their plastic top caps popping out and blacking the riders eye. No kidding. :confused:

I don't know about the crown race. There's a 45° washer on this, looks like it's from the top of a 1" aheadset, but idk. I have not used a 1" steerer in longer than I can remember. :oops:

Back