Describe YOUR Phantom's Self-Destruction

FrizzleFried

Local time
11:12 PM
OK. There seems to be multiple people here who have had multiple Phantom 85 due to their first taking a dive.

I wanna know what to expect. ;)

When your Phantom 85 died... how did it die? Did it lock up completely (locking up the rear wheel)? Did it make a crazy whine sound then die? Did it break up inside?

How "dangerous" is this motor hauling a** down the road. How likely am I to be thrown when mine takes a dump?

EDIT: It really does suck to have some "fear" about a brand new motor your about to strap on to your bike...

OK. There seems to be multiple people here who have had multiple Phantom 85 due to their first taking a dive.

When your Phantom 85 died... how did it die? Did it lock up completely (locking up the rear wheel)? Did it make a crazy whine sound then die? Did it break up inside?

How "dangerous" is this motor hauling ass down the road. How likely am I to be thrown when mine takes a dump?

EDIT: It really does suck to have some "fear" about a brand new motor your about to strap on to your bike...
I've already written my "blow by blow" descriptions in a thread I started that others have also already added to in the "tale of woe" thus far.

You can read all about some of our experiences here because frankly, I'm to busy to re-write what I've already written about...lol...lol.

I have a cure.
1663426302111.jpeg

Though I seem to be doing ok at the moment with my new warranty motor, I can't help but to start thinking of the old Yugo jokes and how many of them we might end up applying to the Phantom 85 if they don't get any better...lol.

I still remember one newscaster back in New England when we were giving military support over in the former Yugoslavia, and the news that day was when one of our bombs "accidently" hit and destroyed the Yugo manufacturing plant...The guy just about lost it and couldn't stop laughing while saying something to the effect that the "accidental" bombing had actually done the car buying world a favour...lol...lol.

In my mechanic days, I always refused to work on them, I wouldn't even give them an oil change...They should have come from the factory with a DNR, (Do Not Resuscitate), order...lol.

Ps...They actually came brand new with spare parts in the hatchback when sold, things they knew were going to fail almost immediately like the alternator, starter, etc...lol.

Though I seem to be doing ok at the moment with my new warranty motor, I can't help but to start thinking of the old Yugo jokes and how many of them we might end up applying to the Phantom 85 if they don't get any better...lol.

I still remember one newscaster back in New England when we were giving military support over in the former Yugoslavia, and the news that day was when one of our bombs "accidently" hit and destroyed the Yugo manufacturing plant...The guy just about lost it and couldn't stop laughing while saying something to the effect that the "accidental" bombing had actually done the car buying world a favour...lol...lol.

In my mechanic days, I always refused to work on them, I wouldn't even give them an oil change...They should have come from the factory with a DNR, (Do Not Resuscitate), order...lol.

Ps...They actually came brand new with spare parts in the hatchback when sold, things they knew were going to fail almost immediately like the alternator, starter, etc...lol.

Ah yes, Yugoslavia...SO much better than Austria-Hungary....
Oh, wait.......

How "dangerous" is this motor hauling a** down the road. How likely am I to be thrown when mine takes a dump?

You can self-test what happens if the rear wheel suddenly locks up by installing the bearings inside out - balls facing outwards - and leaving it like that for a few months. Do this on a regular bicycle that goes only 10-12 mph........
Practice emergency dismount techniques while waiting for the inevitable.

Back