Direct Gear Drive

Dude, that bike is totally impractical, totally nuts, totally irrational.... and totally cool. I love it!

**** yea it can be pedaled. Take a look @ the atomic zombie wesite. Or look up Atomic Zombie chopper bicycle on google or youtube. The guy who designed it actually rides it on the video. It all comes down to correct gearing.
I need the motor as I travel 30km a day to work (15km ea way).

The reason the shaft won't handle the load is 3fold: 1) It is under constant load 2) when the throttle is opened hard it gets all the load with one big jolt 3)BACKLASH or compression braking (worst of the 3) as it is a direct drive there is no clutch so all the force suddenly works in reverse slowing the bike through engine compression. Which is actually handy for slowing in a hurry in the wet when a car pulls out of a driveway & the brakes slip.

Becuase of the long distances I travel & the fact that I work nights & finish @ 10pm I need a system that is almost bulletproof. Hence why I don't like chains, belts & friction to tyre drives. Gear to gear is a direct contact
less messy & easy to disengage completly from the sproket if it all goes wrong inside the engine. . By using a car tyre I know it can handle the load & speed & will last a **** of a lot longer. The rear sprocket can also double as a brake disc. :)

Back