Direct Drive Set Up

Nickt919

Local time
8:46 AM
I found this pic on the FB RDM group. The bike in the pic is supposed to be a second of its kind and still work in progress.
The poster called it the “Direct Drive.”
The owner is in the Philippines.

I don’t know if it’ll really work but the idea is pretty cool being as it eliminates the jack shaft path to gears. You would somehow need to extend the clutch shaft out far enough to put the counter sprocket on. The only way I can see this work is the have a special shaft fabricated.
It sure would be nice to have a set of gears instead of the single gear set up most of us use.

Attachments

• 8C13B351-0ECC-460B-858B-8E062F746F5C.jpeg
    8C13B351-0ECC-460B-858B-8E062F746F5C.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 123
All it would really take would be a set of mirrored case halves, and a slight design change to the sprocket cover/housing. Quite literally flip everything around.

I don't like the method in that picture for one reason, the sprocket is so far away from the bearing supporting the shaft. May cause some increased wear due to added stress.

My experience with direct drive is that every time you stop the engine dies. My Dimension Edge system was like that with no clutch. You needed to lift a lever every time you stopped or you'd need to restart the motor. Pedal starting was easy but at lights it took extra time to get going up to speed if you needed to restart the motor. Gets old real quick.

All it would really take would be a set of mirrored case halves, and a slight design change to the sprocket cover/housing. Quite literally flip everything around.

I don't like the method in that picture for one reason, the sprocket is so far away from the bearing supporting the shaft. May cause some increased wear due to added stress.
I didn't give all much thought beyond the concept but now that you mention it...the counter sprocket is probably 2 or more inches from the bearing. Most likely not good for long term wear.

From the looks of the pic the clutch is still there and probably supposed to work. He’s calling it direct drive because it bypasses the jack shaft. The counter sprocket drives the freewheel pedal gear.

My experience with direct drive is that every time you stop the engine dies. My Dimension Edge system was like that with no clutch. You needed to lift a lever every time you stopped or you'd need to restart the motor. Pedal starting was easy but at lights it took extra time to get going up to speed if you needed to restart the motor. Gets old real quick.
In this case I think they intended it to mean, driving the legal side directly and not a directly driven from the crank without a clutch. Basically, bypassing a jackshaft setup.

How do you keep your feet on the pedals? They'll be turning all the time.

Not a fan of engine shut off when vehicle stops moving.. clean build though

Just like what's in a shift kit? Looking at the picture it looks like a freewheel is in it.
The sprocket could probably be just hanging on the chain for the pic. The guy did say the build was a second of its kind and incomplete...work in progress. It does not look like the sprocket is attached to a freewheel on the crank.
It would have to have a freewheel on the engine driven sprocket on the pedal crank.

I just found the concept rather neat and amusing whether it works or not. I've never tried a jackshaft because I haven't read many accounts of success on bikes with modified engines AND a jackshaft working well together. It would be something of interest to me. NO pedaling or winding up an engine to 12.5K.

Back