Cheap Friction Drive.

Another update on the build. The twin fuel tank set up works great. The top tank self feeds as I hoped it would. The
bottom tank remains completely full until the top tank is empty.

Question to you folks running these style engines. How does the engine intake cooling air? The fan is on the clutch side, and I assume pulls air thru the clutch area? It blows air out the vents on the recoil side (crossflow). Shouldnt there
be vents like the housing in the pic? Bolted to a gearbox or a friction drive it looks like the air flow would be greatly reduced.
The fan is on the pull start side, takes air in through the vents, pushes it out over the coil and cylinder head.

Check the manual:
file:///C:/Users/vicha/Downloads/Honda%20GXH50%20Parts.pdf

Deja vu. I believe we discussed this earlier in the thread. I didnt realize it at the time but there are air intakes
on the pto side where the flywheel fan is. The fan on the start side is to cool the oil sump. Flywheel blows it from the pto side up and over the block/head and out the vent over the starter. Heres a pic of a block. Its just about impossible
to get a pic on my engine with the fuel tank on. Heres the flywheel/cooling fan. 31 and 50 basically the same.

The large holes in the flywheel area are the cooling intakes.

Attachments

• IMG_1085.png
    IMG_1085.png
    396.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1086.png
    IMG_1086.png
    757.8 KB · Views: 73
Just to wrap this up I pulled my spare GX31 down, small fan cools the finned oil sump big pto side fan cool the cylinder/head

Attachments

• IMG_1088.jpeg
    IMG_1088.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1089.jpeg
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1091.jpeg
    IMG_1091.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 75
Theres not enough meat on the drop outs on my bike to drill for the support bolts. Its a aluminum frame, steel I would drill. I changed tires a few days back and really all I had to do with the supports was loosen their upper locks to get enough play to go over the axle, then lock them out of the way, all in less than a minute.

I buy bikes from a local thrift store when they need too much to be saleable. I had been wanting a full suspension bike for a FD build. I just got one in the lot bikes I bought and with”ears”! So all is well will just have to make bracket extensions.

No if the 50cc clone will just get here!!

Back