Disc brake information needed on a 2 stroke.

wan37

Local time
5:06 PM
I recently put disc brakes on front and rear. I have dual brake lever. My question is should rear brake be stoping and hard as front when squeezing lever. I’m new to disc brakes on bikes. I grew up with rim and coaster brakes. Any info ? Thanks

What you don't want is one or both brakes locking. This can send you into a skid. Once rubber liqufies under your wheels you're then hydroplaning on liquid rubber. At high speeds you won't be able to control it.

Last edited:
What you don't want is one or both brakes locking. This can send you into a skid. Once rubber liqufies under your wheels you're then hydroplaning on liquid rubber. At high speeds you won't be able to control it.
Woo hoo! How fast is he going to liquify his tires?
I recommend the fronts have slightly more stopping power than the rear. That's the way I have mine set up and don't have any issues, but then again I don't ride like I have to be there yesterday.

Anytime you leave a skid mark the rubber is first liquid then quickly turns back to a solid. However I've gone 50+ mph going down hill here in Tennessee. Personally if I were to do 1 hand braking I'd prefer a 1 hand duel lever. I'd use the top lever for the rear brake. The rear brake is more so for slowing you down some in traffic. The front brake is more for stopping. This way you could just squeeze the top lever for slowing down. You could squeeze both levers for stopping.

Well when I was a kid which I’m still a big kid lol . I like the back brake to stop more then with rim brakes. I was always scare to much front I’d flip over handle bars. Those things change when you add a engine tho.

Last edited:
with the added weight of the engine and the components, you will lock up the front wheel before flipping.

in the case of motorcycles and mopeds, 70-90% of the braking force is coming from the front, you'd want to have more front bias in the brakes to help stop better and prevent the rears from rapid wear.

Well when I was a kid which I’m still a big kid lol . I like the back brake to stop more then with rim brakes. I was always scare to much front I’d flip over handle bars. Those things change when you add a engine tho.
The biggest danger of flipping forward due to locking the front brake is when going down a steep hill. At Cades Cove in Tennessee inexperienced cyclist are advised to walk their bikes down the really steep hills. Also never try to take a selfie next to a bear 🐻 yet idiots still try to do it lol

That’s makes sense back tire on first motor bike did wear out quickly had rim brakes on back was set to stop before front.

Back