Thoughts on using coaster brakes with a disc brake up front?

Coaster brakes have a place but even with all the upgrades, its still a tiny drum brake. Drum brakes have problems with heat dissipation and the easiest solution is to increase thermal mass. The common coaster brake has a diameter of 1.5", the smallest sturmey archer drum brake has a diameter of 2.76 inches. The shimano roller brake commonly has big cooling fins.

I know that coaster brakes fail from overheating and that the front brake does most of the work. The coaster brake is a brilliant design that endures for good reason but sucks when used as the only brake.
I’m not saying you have to go the route that I did, but I’m literally lacing a moped hub into a bicycle rim to get rid of a coaster brake. There is a way to disable the coaster brake, I forget what it is, but you can google how to make a coaster brake freewheel, you will install the components but instead of the shoes contacting the drum, it will just freewheel when you pedal backwards. If you’ve got a frame you can at least add a caliper to, imo that’s better than a coaster.

To me a coaster brake is like playing Russian Roulette. History has shown issues with them. So why even take a chance, when there's safer alternatives.
A set of ok rim brakes isn't very expensive. As long as someone isn't going super high speeds a rim brake will do just fine.
I’m not saying you have to go the route that I did, but I’m literally lacing a moped hub into a bicycle rim to get rid of a coaster brake. There is a way to disable the coaster brake, I forget what it is, but you can google how to make a coaster brake freewheel, you will install the components but instead of the shoes contacting the drum, it will just freewheel when you pedal backwards. If you’ve got a frame you can at least add a caliper to, imo that’s better than a coaster.
I have gutted the coaster brake on my cranbrook. It isn't that hard.

A set of ok rim brakes isn't very expensive. As long as someone isn't going super high speeds a rim brake will do just fine.

I have gutted the coaster brake on my cranbrook. It isn't that hard.
No, it’s not hard but if you want the assembly intact but not engaging the shoes, there’s a certain way to do it. I’d probably remember if I took one apart, just been 8 or 10 years since I messed with one. There’s a specific reason for keeping the assembly intact, but I forgot what it was. I think it keeps everything evenly spaced or something. Thinking about it now, I think there’s a washer with two claws at the end that makes the spring push the cone into the shoes, pushing them out against the drum. If you replace that clawed washer with a flat washer, the cone can’t push against the shoes but I think you want the shoe cone (I don’t remember the technical term but anyone who’s ever taken one apart knows what I mean) inside the hub for some reason. But I don’t remember what that reason is.

BMX riders use free coaster hubs, basically a coaster brake without the brake shoes. Supposedly freewheels have a minor procession when being overrun and that can screw up tricks.

Honda used rim brakes on the front wheel for their rc116. Was a motogp 20hp 50cc parallel twin with a 9 speed gear box. Using good rim brakes that are properly set up work very well unless the its wet or sandy. Kool Stops are top of the line pads.
They actually used them on the front and rear. They also only lasted 1 race 😆

To me a coaster brake is like playing Russian Roulette. History has shown issues with them. So why even take a chance, when there's safer alternatives.
I can't disagree with your statement now my go to rider bike, I do have front and rear disc brakes, I guess my 53 cc bike I just don't ever ride it and got to many other projects that suck my wallet dry, that I just don't think about upgrading the brakes on it.

I can't disagree with your statement now my go to rider bike, I do have front and rear disc brakes, I guess my 53 cc bike I just don't ever ride it and got to many other projects that suck my wallet dry, that I just don't think about upgrading the brakes on it.
When it comes to safety one has to ask "How much is my life worth"?

Back