Ebay Add-on generator to magneto?

mogogear

Local time
10:32 PM
So I am not a generator expert but this fellow seems to have made a wire wrapped section of metal that tucks inside the magneto housing in small blank spot. Pretty straight ahead. He, I assume, has just added another coil for the spinning magnets to pass by and thereby develops about 3-6+V . Has anyone bought one of these and have any input? he also offers a 12v version and various switches and wires. The basic 6V version would be all that I am interested in.

You would need to add a switch, a head light ( incandescent as this is a AC generator - you could mod to DC if you choose) a tail light. Add a small battery and rectifier if you want a battery charging system too. Add a brake switch and mod the tail light to be a brake light also ... $24 + SH ( no- I am not the person making them.

Seems like a nice idea!! Am I missing something?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400080371286?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

What says the group here?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
looks good but if you dont have a regulator it could burn out your lights at high rpm

Mr Jag,

It could indeed. The sellers take pains to explain that revving the engine at a stop can blow the bulbs. I like the simplicity of the option and because I know so little ( at this point in time) about converting AC to DC that I may be assuming that a easy conversion so you could also run more long lived LED bulbs is a small hurdle.

It just seems after reading some many threads and the cost associated with:

Bottle generators
Head lights
rectifiers
regulators
battery packs
chargers
lights switches
etc

That this could be a dependable source of power. The "White Wire " just won't do it.

Every other options also requires some modification or extra component to work. I am drawn to what works on most other transportation: Alternators or generators-adapted to the equipment they serve- from motorcycle, car, steamship
or locomotive.

I hope a member here has one and can report user information.

Thanks for your note!!!

I don't have one myself, but I've heard good things. it would be trivial to wire in a voltage regulator.

Hey, I just saw you are in Biloxi!! Cool, I have family in Ocean Springs and will be down visiting on August.

Yep ,after reading all the effort put into doing other mods- that a regulator would be a piece of cake- or what ever the name is of the device that changes AC to DC for LED bulbs. is that a "rectifier?" I will need to brush up on my basic knowledge ...

Again, And I have stated this already- this seems the route to go. No bottle generator to wear out, mount and drag on the tire. No drain off the magneto output and starve the spark plug, and if you wanted- no batteries.

I am still looking for a down side. If it is money- all the other systems seem to be more expensive and require more effort to maintain if not build.

cheers

Rechargable battery sounds the most practical to me. Small battery (maybe a hacked 18V tool battery) that is periodically charged with a $20 charger could offer more than enough juice for a good lighting system.

The alternator sold on Ebay seems to be a solid product/ idea, but no light without engine power.

True--6 of one / half dozen of the other --$20 charger or a $24 generator- either one with a battery + a light system-

The generator can be a charger too! True?

Different ways to skin the cat

I am still looking for a down side. If it is money- all the other systems seem to be more expensive and require more effort to maintain if not build.

cheers
Power is not free, you will loose engine power generating electric power.

A full wave bride rectifier converts AC to DC, it is just 4 diodes, less than $1.
A sealed Lead Acid battery is more forgiving than Lithium Ion when charging with a varying voltage.

I am sure you are right about the bit of drag from the coil as there is not much about motor bikes you don't know. I always tip my hat to you KC either from what I have read from your posts here or on your own forum. But I would bet it is not much more (and perhaps less that a goofy bottle genny.

I am sure I will take a chance on it and then post what I find. $24 is a easy small gamble. I wont get my engine installed till June as I have other projects to finish first (a small sail boat I'm refinishing and an rc tug boat)

Thanks for the opinions I have read!~

This is really an informative article! Reading through all these comments was very helpful for me to make decision to invest in a powerful Genset just like honda 2000 generator. This generator has loads of amazing features!

Back