Engine four strokes then dies

Josh_wilcoxx

Local time
10:01 AM
I have a problem with my bike, when I'm riding and get up to speed the engine starts four stroking then dies like it's out of gas. When I have the clutch disengaged and rev, it kinda acts like the choke is on. The only mods I currently have is an offset instake and I took the bottom cap off of the muffler, and I've never had this problem. I've made sure the intake, exhaust, and head we're all tight, but no luck. New headgasket and clean carb, I've tried moving the fuel/air E-clip on the pin into all four positions, and it worked on the top one for a bit and then the problem occurred again. I need help, thanks!

It's getting to much fuel, so look into the float in the carb. Usually moving the clip up on the needle is enough but you tried that, so it leads me to think the float needle is blocked open allowing fuel to fuel continuously.

It's getting to much fuel, so look into the float in the carb. Usually moving the clip up on the needle is enough but you tried that, so it leads me to think the float needle is blocked open allowing fuel to fuel continuously.
It all seems to work just fine

I'd say either a bad kill switch or loose wires. Or it could be a clogged pet cock.

I'd say either a bad kill switch or loose wires. Or it could be a clogged pet cock.
That's what I was wondering. Wires seem fine and the fuel filter is old but seems to let fuel in just fine, I took off the carb bowl and turned on fuel and it all came out pretty well.

That's what I was wondering. Wires seem fine and the fuel filter is old but seems to let fuel in just fine, I took off the carb bowl and turned on fuel and it all came out pretty well.
The kill switch causes problems somtimes. Just try running it without the switch to see indeed.. with proper shut off measures in place. All it does is ground out the circuit to stop ignition but it could be killing the engine at moments by intermittently closing the circuit.

Hey, that might have done it for you, run some fuel through the float needle. 4 stroking is usually a sign of too much fuel.

The kill switch causes problems somtimes. Just try running it without the switch to see indeed.. with proper shut off measures in place. All it does is ground out the circuit to stop ignition but it could be killing the engine at moments by intermittently closing the circuit.
The problem is, it's pretty regular when it dies, I can listen to the revs and know when it's gonna start four stroking and die. When I rev it with the clutch disengaged it doesn't want to rev up like the choke is on. It can rev higher with a load on it.

Hey, that might have done it for you, run some fuel through the float needle. 4 stroking is usually a sign of too much fuel.
Okay. And also I am going to get new fuel line and put on a HP carb tomorrow and see if that does anything, I do have jets.

Back