Engine rattle

Smithy2130

Local time
9:42 PM
Hi I’m new to motorised bikes I bought an engine about a month ago and it’s always had a rattle when you let off the throttle any ideas what it could be?

Frightening as it is, Chinese 4 strokes are usually very high quality unless you go with the bottom of the barrel.

Most likely because these factories were once contracted by Honda, Briggs, Kholer and the likes and just use all the same tooling they were given, or just completely copied the tooling.

No other reason for these 2 strokes to be such low average quality at the price point.

I can only imagine a Japanese quality 2 stroke engine, it'd run forever.
2 strokes by their nature require higher quality to be reliable. Twice the ignition events and thin oil with a low flash point only delivered with fuel vs. Oil bath, splash, and pressurized circulation.

The biggest killer of most of these cheaper 2 strokes, assuming you take the time to sort out the various cheap quality issues is heat. The 4 strokes most use are forced air cooled, while the 2 strokes are not, and 2 strokes generally make more heat for obvious reasons.

2 strokes by their nature require higher quality to be reliable. Twice the ignition events and thin oil with a low flash point only delivered with fuel vs. Oil bath, splash, and pressurized circulation.

The biggest killer of most of these cheaper 2 strokes, assuming you take the time to sort out the various cheap quality issues is heat. The 4 strokes most use are forced air cooled, while the 2 strokes are not, and 2 strokes generally make more heat for obvious reasons.
True, insult to injury is the quality of the milling, casting and bearings is terrible for something that spins 3X faster than a 4 stroke.

I guess what I'm saying is you can cheap out on a 4 stroke and be ok, but if you want a 2 stroke, get a higher-end engine.

True, insult to injury is the quality of the milling, casting and bearings is terrible for something that spins 3X faster than a 4 stroke.

I guess what I'm saying is you can cheap out on a 4 stroke and be ok, but if you want a 2 stroke, get a higher-end engine.
What is a higher end 2 stroke for a bicycle? Aren't they all cheap?

Remember, everything is relative. The top end of the cheap chinese made 2 stroke bicycle engines is still a cheaply made engine when compared to the standards of a major manufacturer. Zeda, in my opinion, seems to be the one manufacturer that puts in at least a level of quality control and some material quality improvements that the other sellers don't care to bother with. Their improved CDI that comes with their higher performance engines like the Phantom is a great example. It works, and it's been incredibly reliable with consistent spark even at the top end of the RPM range.

The Bofeng carb is another example. It's not exactly a huge change from the basic NT carb, but it has a few small tweaks that make it "better." They added extra chinesium to the body, changed to a different jet style, and added an emulsion tube. Not exactly ground breaking, but it makes a difference.

What is a higher end 2 stroke for a bicycle? Aren't they all cheap?
Zeda, still cheap, but I don't see a lot of posts with ports that look like absolute garbage.
The Zeda has a ceramic coated cylinder, the off brand kits have a nickel coated cylinder that has an ability to peel off from the heat.

Back