Engine trouble

CT Rider

Local time
5:58 AM
My rings had blown so I replaced stock piston with a windowed piston. I also added Zeda 88 exhaust. Put it all back together correctly and can't get it to run. Any idea what's going on ? I thought I would probably have to down jet but it only runs for 10 seconds, then dies. Any idea what's going on?

Several ideas..

Is the cylinder gouged from the broken ring?

Did you reuse the old head gasket, without even flipping it?

Is there a vacuum leak around the new reed valve?

Is there a leak at the base gasket, since you presumably removed the cylinder from the crankcase?

Did you modify the intake port to allow the reed to fully open? (Should still run a bit with that but I thought it was worth mentioning)

Did you ever find the original cause of the broken ring?

Switching to reed valve intake should require an increase in jet size rather than decrease, at least from all I've read and how I understand it works. (The intake velocity is reduced as the intake duration is increased, this reduces the Venturi suction and so requires a larger jet)

Thank you furry. I'm not sure what caused ring to break, but they did have a lot of miles on them.The valve was not opening all the way, so I used my dremel to open up the intake. It is now running as it should

Thank you furry. I'm not sure what caused ring to break, but they did have a lot of miles on them.The valve was not opening all the way, so I used my dremel to open up the intake. It is now running as it should
Good to hear that! :) I have one if the Zeda / RSE red valves to try this year so I'll be modifying a cylinder soon too. :)

Back