First build: step through bike and big bike trailer.

I finally bought a bicycle engine after having a casual interest in getting one forever.

I mounted it on a step through bike I had laying around, which presented some problems. Mainly gas tank position. So I welded a piece of pipe on the frame to mount the tank. I also welded the tank mounting brackets to the pipe, since the fit was kinda loose. I welded the engine mounting outer brackets too. I read that you may want to adjust the tensioner position later so I just tacked it in place. I just used the cheapest hazard fraught flux core welder. I dont have much practice welding, so my welds are pretty ugly.

So I wanted my wife and toddler to be able to ride too, and since I dont have the budget to set up a second bike currently, so I built a small cart to tow. It's way heavier than it needs to be, but it works. I welded a post out to one side of the rear wheel frame and welded a pipe coupler on that. Then I used a spare tractor pin to attach them. Everything was built using scrap laying around. It's a work in progress of course.

Eventually I want to put the engine into a wooden go kart, and add a couple gear ratios with v belts and tensioners.

Welcome to motored bikes, you never want to weld your chain guide, chains stretch and need periodic adjustment.

welcome to the forum!

like chain said, dont weld the adjuster as the chain stretches a LOT, also reinforce those fenders as they tend to snap off (and lock up your front wheel, and then a trip to the ER)
im not sure that you might be able to pull a trailer without gearing it up some more, (ie bigger rear sprocket)

other than that it looks like its going to be a lot of fun!

The trailer is hard to get started on the dirt driveway, but I got a pull start and the engine gets it going just fine. Once I'm on the road it's fine. I would like a little bigger sprocket though.

I just did a little tack on the tensioner, so when I need to adjust it I just hit the grinder a sec and I can move it.

The trailer is hard to get started on the dirt driveway, but I got a pull start and the engine gets it going just fine. Once I'm on the road it's fine. I would like a little bigger sprocket though.

I just did a little tack on the tensioner, so when I need to adjust it I just hit the grinder a sec and I can move it.
Alright.
Also please reinforce those fenders with some L brackets. As the stock ones are too thin and will snap at the worst possible time (happened to me, glad i was only going about 8mph)
L brackets are like 1.48$ a piece. Its a lot better than making a sweet trip to a sour one

I was just looking at your little trailer, you can make it a lot sturdier if you screw a couple of pieces of wood (plywood or 2 bys) to the sides of the hitch pieces. They look like they would rattle apart with much use.

Back