Foldable bike, rear-wheel engagement -- how to make the best of it?

PublicRadio

Local time
10:11 AM
Hi there,

I have an older 2-stroke bike kit, pictured below, that engages with the rear wheel, rather than the drivetrain. I have a couple questions about this:
  • Is there a recommended way to reduce wear on the back tire? I just recently moved the original front tire to the back, because the replacement tire I put on there started getting chewed up pretty quickly. I'm wondering if there's something I could spray on the point of contact to rubberize the metal, or otherwise prevent as much erosion of the wheel.
  • If this isn't possible, is there a partial kit that will convert what I have into a drivetrain system? You can see that I have plenty of space behind the seat, and I'll bet this thing would go a lot faster with a better kit.

I should have taken a clearer picture of the roller. I've learned this is called a friction drive gas bike, and this bike's friction drive roller has an array of pyramid-shaped teeth that clamp onto the wheel. I guess I could try wrapping some innertube around the roller and seeing what happens. I'd rather wear out lengths of tube than the actual tire. All the new friction-drive bikes I see online have a rotor shaped like the paddle-wheel on a steamboat.

does it slip when you give it gas? if see if theres a height adjust on it. (might want to deinflate the tire to like 5psi) the adjust it and re-inflate. that should hopefully fix the tire wear issue.

for more power, id check the bolt spacing for the clutch (if there is one)
as a 49cc pocket bike engine might fit on there (with a proper pipe those things fly!)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ridgeyard-...166182?hash=item1a902000e6:g:fKIAAOSwS3Za3Y1T

and pipe
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Pi...617109&hash=item3b1e9a707e:g:AiQAAOSw5-lbjO-G

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Always pedal when taking off just for a few feet. That helps a lot. From my experience once the roller is laying on the tire with just gravity pulling it down just a 1/4in of deflection on the tire is needed to get the right amount of pressure for a good ride. Metal rollers will wear a tire faster than normal, part of the price for using a simple friction drive. You can minimize the wear though using proper techniques.

Is there a brand name for that friction drive? It's a sweet setup, I'd like to google it see about it.

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the replies. I'm going to have to check my settings here (and my spam filter) because I didn't realize I had replies. @mark20, I am pretty sure the engine is a Chinese pocket bike engine. @darwin, I bought this from a friend second-hand, and I haven't seen this kit online anywhere. I'll try to track down the details about it.

Back