frame cracks

if you got the cash to look at choppersus.com and his fat fender and seat.....the frender can be split about 1 1/2 inchs out of the center and welded back,
1271_03209_1.jpg

the seat will ride right in that curve
1271_07000_1.jpg

I'm back on the road !!!
pulled motor and swapped it into my haro mountain bike
what a difference after getting used to chopper
will use it till I fix deviate
man I was jonesing to ride afte 2 days haha

think I'm gonna try to design a seat pan and support to take weight off seat tube
also was worried I wouldn't make the lake run in 2 weeks

thanks Dave :D :D :D
I forgot how much lighter an aluminum bike is over the deviate

(all I can think of is the old beach boys line 'if she had a set of wings, manI know she would fly' from the song 409)

fast enough to scare the carp outta me anyhow
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Any chance you can find a new chopper frame that supports weight better? and just reuse your rims, wheels, forks, and stuff? I mean the first crack shows a flawed design in the frame itself. I dont think any amount of repairs will make it as strong as it could be. but who am i to say it cant be done? give it a try =D

post a pic of the bike your using in the meantime

Beach Boys Greatest hits?

"If she had a set of wings, man I know she could fly, "she's my little duece cuope you don't know what I got!"
"She's got a competion clutch, with a four on the floor, yeah she purrs like a kitten till the lakepipes roar, and if that ain't enuf to make you flip your lid, well there's one more thing.....I got the pink slip daddy"

hmmm they were the best of times? On old Jacobs "woodie" a balsa wood surfboard, 8' 2", and the surf in San Diego never looked better......Mike

to fix a steel frame weld on some extra plate to reinforce around the cracks. Welds generally don't crack unless they are improperlly reinforced. so add some. Speedy metals is a good place if you don't have a local metal supply house. What type of welder are you going to use? I would recomend TIG because of it's strength.:D

yeah frame craks are bad these is what i got in return for it

my city pounder has died but the new one is being built for death race

just take a look

Attachments

• city pounder2.jpg
    city pounder2.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 392
  • city pounder.jpg
    city pounder.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 334
  • big schwinn.jpg
    big schwinn.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 304
that bike, alas, is sitting stripped of all its good parts and will probably never see pavement again :(
but, the parts from it are now in a schwinn jaguar that i will be posting pics of soon :)

One of the issues is the steel the tube is made form if it is 1-1/2 cr and you weld it with standard buz box rod, then it will crack again in short order. Take a magnifying glass and find the end of the crack. Drill a small hole at each end. If you miss by a little bit, you wont put this on the moon so dont worry. There are two process you can use. TIG or braze it. If you tig the crack, take a dremell and open the crack up with the small grinding disk. Be sure the paint is removed from the weld area. Warm the steel up by using a propane torch. Do not use a cutting torch with acetylene. This can affect 1 1/4 cr steel. After the repair area is warmed up, 200 to 250 degrees is you want to be specific, weld up the crack being sure to fill the holes at the end of the crack. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes and add another pass on top and extending 1/2 inch past the holes. Let it cool and then check the end of the weld with a magnifying glass to be sure the crack has not returned. Do not overweld this thinking more is better. The cap should not be any higher than the thickness of the tube. Try to keep the weld small.
If you are going to braze the crack, again, drill stress holes at the end of the crack. Flux the crack area and butter with brass rod. After the crack is buttered, braze a bead over the crack. Again limit the height of the reinforcing material. Again extend 1/2 inch pass the stress holes. If you have the skills or know a BFG welder who knows how to put a bead down with brass, I would recommend brazing instead of TIG. But if you know a jam up TIG welder they can fix this problem.

Back