Freewheel Transmission Sprocket

Sorry, the hill is about a 30* angle, and no, I don't have a tach. I think our weight is the big difference here because I can accelerate all the way to the top from a dead stop. I don't remember the hills in east Texas as beeing all that steep.
In the 70's, I lived in the coastal region. The only hills there were man made with the houses up on stilts lol. Flooding is bad along the bayous and during hurricane season.

My RS 35 engine though smaller than a 142 has the same hp. I also weigh around 250 lbs. To go up a 30% grade (16.7°) hill at 7000 rpm it takes a reduction of 66.79\1. The reduction on your bike is 22\1. The steepest paved streets in the world is a 37% grade (20.3°). Though you may find some paved driveways steeper than this.

Here's a picture of what a 20% grade looks like.

1697481090019.png

1697481238556.png

1697481382518.png

That's real obvious judging from the angle on your deck. My 30* hill is steeper than that. Unfortunately it's 5 miles away or I'd get a pic. I think all of us are in agreement that someone weighing over 225 definitely needs lower gears than normal.

That's real obvious judging from the angle on your deck. My 30* hill is steeper than that. Unfortunately it's 5 miles away or I'd get a pic. I think all of us are in agreement that someone weighing over 225 definitely needs lower gears than normal.
That's an old location I lived at; the deck was the neighbors. If you have a protractor and a 6' to 8' straight edge you can get a degree reading on your hill. A 30% grade will be close to 17°.

There's also some gradient apps you can put on your phone now.

Without a tachometer letting you know if you're reaching max torque rpm; one could be burning up their clutch without even knowing it. At least with a multi-speed bicycle you have more ratios to select from to pedal assist with. A single speed bike all one can do is try to pedal harder/faster to reach max torque rpm.

Just from your description of your terrain; it does sound like you could benefit from installing a Strumey Archer S3X jackshaft transmission. Then it'd be like having a 70t, 60t, and 44t sprockets to select from.

I don't remember the hills in east Texas as beeing all that steep.
People say the same thing to me when I talk about hills in Nebraska. Nobody knows that we have the Bluffs on my end of the state, which are basically old ground down mountains, and while not super long grades, we have several areas in and around here that are full of hills with 7-20% gradients. They just only run for maybe a quarter mile to, at most, a mile or two. One hill north of Omaha along the river frontage road that I am familiar with is literally a 40 degree angle up (83.9% gradient) for about an eighth of a mile (it's a service road, so not regular traffic). Hell, the road that leads to my mom's house in town, while very short is a 60% gradient (30 degree slope).

I won't even get started on the north central part of the state, aka the Sand hills. Lots of big steep long rolling hills.

My bike is geared too tall for my size and area, but I also don't live in the worst part of town when it comes to hills, so I can get away with it. This is the reason I keep looking at options for a 3 speed hub just to give myself the ability to have 3rd gear the same as my bike is currently geared, and 2 lower options for hill climbing.

I also accept that some leg assistance is required, so I have no issue assisting my bike engine.

I don't remember the hills in east Texas as beeing all that steep.

Steeper than the bike wants to take my big butt. Also, I live in a city and try to take the street bike trials to avoid the major roads in town. And it seems the city gave the bicyclist all the hills in the city. Some are pretty steep. I'll have to take a picture for reference.

Back