Going to install a true steel sleeve in DAX 70

No , these engines will not take any bigger porting, or any other modifications. I was looking to use the same size piston form a STIHl dealer. Didn't want to add anymore stress to the connecting rod.

Yes the needle bearings from a chaimsaw work perfectly, just need the correct size, i don't know the size , but i know they work and are strong, and he also put washers on each end just in case the bearing would come out of it eye of the connecting rod. You just need to go to a small engine repair place , and they will hook you up with almost anything you need. hope this helps

As far as the piston and wrist pin go , i'm not sure but i heard you can order a piston from stihl and they can pretty much match the piston, and the wristpin that is already with the engine will work

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand you cannot put the needle bearing from a Stihl in a bushing engine. I am told that the bearing will fit the needle bearing happy time engine only. They both use a 10mm pin. It would be nice if it would fit. also careful putting washers on the wrist pin, the rattling around will cut the pin down, been there done that. The Stihl piston has wider bosses on the piston to keep the bearing from moving out. Have fun Dave

You can replace a bushing bearing with a neddle bearing I don't know who you talked to, but they don't know what they are talking about, it will work good as new been using the bearing fron a stihl dealer and washers not had a problem with it at all. if they have the correct size , then there is no reason why it shouldn't work. It all depends on the correct size.

Thanks for the info. Are the bearings in a sleeve so that they don't actually run on the rod end. You would not happen to have the part number! I still have a few of there saws at the shop we used to have about thirty of them. Before they shut our shop down we had 1800 small equipment to keep running, contracted it out. Have fun, Dave

Back