Administrator
Staff member
Local time
9:04 PM
Golden Eagle Bike Engines (GEBE) Reviews:

Other Names: GEBE, Golden Eagle, Dennis
Products: Engine kits, parts

Count me as another satisfied customer

The ordering process was real easy and I called several times to check on specs and ask question before placing my order. I ordered the Mount Kit Only because I got a better deal on my Tanaka PF-4000 40cc engine from another dealer. Julia, who took my order said "that's OK but I would reccomend the 105g rear wheel because of the Tanaka's torque might damaged your current rim and we will even mount the drive ring free".:unsure:
WOW, what a deal, I did not have to mess around with anything. I just had to take my cassette off and place it on the new wheel and mount the the rim and drive system. The whole installation took less than an hour. I was skeptical but now I could not be a more satisfied customer. Two thumbs up !!!:cool:

Coming up on my 2nd year with this kit and I am still very happy with the purchase.
The only issues I've had with it so far is the plastic belt cover. The first one broke about within about three months. They sent me a replacement. The second one they sent had a sticky piece piece of rubber near where the weak point is and it broke as well. It held up slightly longer than the first one but not by much. I haven't replaced it again because it seems pointless. They really should consider making them out of aluminum or stainless steel.
The other issue I had was with the bolt that goes through the metal strap which holds the rack in place and attaches to the frame behind the seat post. The bolt broke and the rack and motor almost hit the ground. No major damage and it was easy to fix but I have since put a zip tie around the bolt and through the strap as a second line of defense. If the bolt does break again, at least the motor wont shift like it did before.
Other than those two minor issues this engine kit has held up extremely well. I have been considering purchasing a scooter but every time I weight the pros and cos, the GEBE kit wins out. It's as reliable as the best 50cc scooters and it's much easier to fix if something breaks. It's really fast and light (try picking up a scooter and carrying it up three flights of stairs). It burns really clean for a two stroke and being on a bike, you can take it places you can't go with a scooter. I can throw it in the trunk of my car and ride it like a bike in areas where scooters aren't allowed (festivals, parks, busy pedestrian areas etc). Oh and it's a real eye catcher. People are always asking me about it and watching me as I fly through the city going close to 40 mph. I love it and would definately purchase another.

I recently purchased and installed a GEBE Tanaka 40cc kit with the Velocity rim and although it was a bit expensive, it has proven to be an excellent product.
I have been riding on it for about two months through the streets of Boston (which if you've ever been to Boston, you know they are pothole and traffic riddled) and have had no problems at all. The kit holds up well to the bumps, goes up hills with minimal assistance and screams on the straights. I put this kit on a lightweight aluminum bicycle frame and at over 200lbs I frequently pass cars in traffic on busy streets.
The velocity rim is strong and has kept true despite hitting a few of the potholes I've mentioned and the belt is holding up nicely.
As for the customer service, I found them helpful and friendly and the shipping was fast and kit nicely packaged.
All in all...a great experience.
The only thing I'm worried about is my obsession with building another one.

My Review for GEBE

I've owned my GEBE kit mounted on my Schwinn Alloy Seven cruiser for about 4 and a half years. I weigh in at over 300 lbs, and had problems with belt wear on my GEBE. Also with stock 14 guage spokes, the torque from the drive ring moved the spokes back and fourth, and snapped spokes off at the nipple. I had a custom back wheel made and though it had HUGE 10 guage spokes, and the spoke breakage problem was taken care of, I still found myself replacing belts at approx 500 miles, (city), and gears at about 1000 miles. Since I replaced both my front, and back wheel, with the velocity wheels that GEBE offers, I must say that they complemented the bike and kit very well. Dennis at GEBE attached the drive ring to the 105 guage Velocity rear wheel, and I noticed a big difference in the tracking. The bearings, (cup and cone type), loosened once, I adjusted them, and haven't had to adjust them again, with many miles put on since. I also learned a couple tricks over the years, such as; Grinding the nut, (where you put the wrench to remove the gear), and flipping the gear over, and it's like a new one. (When the gear is shot on both sides grab it with some vice grips..lol..don't matter if you damage it at that point!) Same with the belt when she starts slipping, (and the gear is still good), just flip it over, and you'll be gripping with unused sides of the teeth). Those two little tricks cut the cost of gears, and belts in half for me. Also, with time, one begins to get "good" at riding an eagle. It makes a lot of difference in maintenance costs when you become one with the engine on the drive load. In other words, you better be pedaling at least until you're over 20-25 mph, and sometimes it's necessary to pedal to maintain a good cruising speed, especially with a good headwind or hill. The Robin Suburu engine is the best running little 4 stroke I've ever seen. Again I weigh in at over 300, lol, and that thing has been carrying me around Indy for over 4 years. Still running strong. A couple new plugs, frequent oil changes, and air cleaner maintenance is all it takes. A new set of clutch shoes after a couple years is a plus..lol. Dennis and Julia, (GEBE owners), have been great when it comes to support. Considering my size, and how much I still love my GEBE, I'm gonna give it a good rating.:love:

Wheel

I got the GEBE wheel .. After going through two others...
Best money spent .. If your going to buy a GEBE save yourself the trouble and get their wheel.

After owning a GEBE Robin/Suburu 35cc setup for 5 years plus, I must say that the engine is of utmost quality. I've had belt issues with the kit, mainly because I'm one BIG dude..lol. I can't seem to hurt that little engine, after 5 years, but have went through many, many drive trains for the little thing. I only wish the belts were $10.00, and the gears $5.99, but we know that isn't the case. After well over a year owning a set of GEBE Velocity Wheels, I will say that these wheels are phenominal. I got the .105 guage spoked rear wheel, and have adjusted the wheel bearings only once after about 300 miles. I weigh in at over 300 lbs, and haven't broken a spoke on the 105 Velocity, nor have I needed to tighten the rear wheel bearings after well over a year since the initial adjustment. If the belts/gears were much less expensive, I'd give this kit/vendor five stars easily, but must go 4 out of 5, after spending hundreds of dollars on belts/gears over the last five years. Customer service is very good, none the less...great folks to deal with.

Drive train issues

I think I am having an issue with my belt and gear but I'm not sure. What is it that happened to yours when you realized they needed to be replaced? If it's the same thing that is happening to mine why do you think it is your weight that caused them to fail? How big and heavy are you? I'm 6-2 206lbs and havn't had an issue with mine until now (3 years). How often and how far do you typically ride in a given season or do you ride all year? That may explain it. I don't ride all year but mostly in the summer, spring and fall and never daily, in the rain or in super hot weather. I typically ride on the weekends for a few hours at a time at the most.

After owning a GEBE Robin/Suburu 35cc setup for 5 years plus, I must say that the engine is of utmost quality. I've had belt issues with the kit, mainly because I'm one BIG dude..lol. I can't seem to hurt that little engine, after 5 years, but have went through many, many drive trains for the little thing. I only wish the belts were $10.00, and the gears $5.99, but we know that isn't the case. After well over a year owning a set of GEBE Velocity Wheels, I will say that these wheels are phenominal. I got the .105 guage spoked rear wheel, and have adjusted the wheel bearings only once after about 300 miles. I weigh in at over 300 lbs, and haven't broken a spoke on the 105 Velocity, nor have I needed to tighten the rear wheel bearings after well over a year since the initial adjustment. If the belts/gears were much less expensive, I'd give this kit/vendor five stars easily, but must go 4 out of 5, after spending hundreds of dollars on belts/gears over the last five years. Customer service is very good, none the less...great folks to deal with.

I ordered one of these kits and im gonna phrase it nice and simple..They Rock!!!!!!!!!!! nothing beats a chain drive!

I ordered one of these kits and im gonna phrase it nice and simple..They Rock!!!!!!!!!!! nothing beats a belt drive!

Update at almost 7 years of GEBE ownership

I wish I could upgrade my rating of my 7 year old GEBE kit to 5 stars at this point. I'm getting well over 1000 miles per belt now, due to the Velocity rear wheel with the "Dennis Mounted", lol, drive ring with the 105 guage spokes. The engine isn't 100%, but after all these years it's an unbelievable little engine with easily 95% of the power she had new. Now I see why Robin/Suburu raised 'em to over $600...j/k there. I'm giving the kit 5 stars after 7 years of trial and error, extreme use, and thorough scrutiny! GOOD KIT, GOLDEN EAGLE!!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Very reliable, I have about 1200 miles on it, and do 45 mile days. I use the 105 guage spokes. No problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back