GP460 Engine On Friction Drive

Man sorry to hear it would not start! Maybe carry an electric drill to start it :)

What a long day for ya! Good luck with the bike in the am!

i actually looked at some of the starter setups for gas power RC planes, they have it worked out quite nicely. could easily be adapted to have a socket tip rather than the pillow cup for a prop nose.

esp. for the HC 460 this could be a real advantage, till you run into issues with packing it all for constant travel and security possibly.

maybe today,
steve

Man this sucker is tough to pullstart! I ended up straddling the frame, facing backwards for the best leverage.

Sort of like sitting on a donkey backwards and yanking on its tail.:sick:

I'm gonna try using a cordless screwdriver or cordless drill, using the metal pawl and a carriage bolt as a holder.

Ed, you were right. I slept like a log at midnight, but still got up at 530am.:giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
i actually looked at some of the starter setups for gas power RC planes, they have it worked out quite nicely. could easily be adapted to have a socket tip rather than the pillow cup for a prop nose.

esp. for the HC 460 this could be a real advantage, till you run into issues with packing it all for constant travel and security possibly.

maybe today,
steve

Any links, Steve?

This puppy WILL start today!:devilish:

I'd love to use a cordless screwdriver to start the engines on a daily basis. Reminds me of the pitcrew starting up TopFuel dragsters at the racetrack.

MUCH cooler looking than yanking on pullstarts, especially on hardstarting engines.:whistle:.

I'd even use it on "The Dragon Lady".

Starting an MB with a cordless screwdriver would be VERY impressive!

Maybe that'll be my next project!

5-7,

i gave up pretty quick when my first search didn't turn up anything capale of starting anything over 1.8ci.

the 460 is 46cc or 2.8ci.

i think trying some of the 18v handheld tools has promise. i'm no tsure the pensil style drivers will have what it takes.

also if you found the right little 12v motor you could clip it to an SLA for starting.

steve

a little further searching shows a popular mechanics comparo of stick driver and slightly more looking showing that the Ridgid R81030 can provide 100in/ #'s of torque (class leader) it's 9.6v.

one just sold on Ebat for $36.00

i'd love to hear more about any currently available stick driver that can handle the job, even though i don't have starter probs. w/ my 460 i'd likely go "electric" start just because i can.

thanks,
steve

Charging up my SKIL cordless batteries as we speak.:unsure:

Ed, what drill attachment did you use? You've seen the metal slot that Glen fabbed for my engines. Can I just open the drill's chuck and spin the tab? just like that?

In the meantime I'll be fabbing a holder for my metal pullstart pawl.:unsure:

Yup, should work ok, on the pocket bikes there is a bolt into the flywheel, just put a socket on and spun it. Yours is harder with the setup, as long as you can grab it in the center OK.

Not really dangerous, just pull out the drill when it fires.

Back