hall test?

zeltava

Local time
10:29 PM
Hi , everyone. I installed a 5000 watt rear hub motor mated to a sabaton 72v 100a controller using a 72v 50a Samsung battery I connected all the leads and tft display. It runs great!!! My friend tells me the hall test should have been done before I ran the bike. (Which I did not do). Will this cause a problem ?
Can I still do the Hall test with 26 miles already run on the bike? Should I do the Hall test?

Hall testing is done to sync the Hall Fields in your motor to you controller. It will detect and set the hall angle.
If you have a hi watt motor go into your settings and you will find the hall angle and numerous settings that you can adjust for performance. (google ebike hall testing)
Any fellow engineers out there? I am a Mechanical engineer. I need to talk to an electrical engineer or hi watt technician !

I actually prefer to run my rc motors sensorless. There is more cogging at extremely low throttle but i never run the throttle that low so i don't notice. I'd say unless your hub motor or controller came with explicit instructions that you must do a "hall test" then you'll be alright.

I didn't get any instructions with the motor and the seller was a middle man and told me to go to they manufacturer. I went to the manufacturer (bafang} and they told me they will not provide information to buyers that did not purchase from them. I was shocked bafang was like that. I found info thru Sabaton controllers. You are correct. Sabatron informed me that the kit I purchased was mated to my motor. Hall testing was not necessary but, I could change settings to my preference. Thanks, Gary

Here's a link which might be able to help you.

I didn't get any instructions with the motor and the seller was a middle man and told me to go to they manufacturer. I went to the manufacturer (bafang} and they told me they will not provide information to buyers that did not purchase from them. I was shocked bafang was like that. I found info thru Sabaton controllers. You are correct. Sabatron informed me that the kit I purchased was mated to my motor. Hall testing was not necessary but, I could change settings to my preference. Thanks, Gary
That's a big black spot on Bafang, you'd figure they would want anyone that has one of their products to be happy no matter where they got it. You bought a new product from a secondary dealer that paid Bafang money for the product.

Hall testing is done to sync the Hall Fields in your motor to you controller. It will detect and set the hall angle.
If you have a hi watt motor go into your settings and you will find the hall angle and numerous settings that you can adjust for performance. (google ebike hall testing)
Any fellow engineers out there? I am a Mechanical engineer. I need to talk to an electrical engineer or hi watt technician !
Hall sensors are fixed in the motor and control the timing/phase and like any electric motor if you alter timing you can increase amp draw and create more heat trying to gain power with advancing or reduce it and lose some rpm/kv but be more efficient. They are fixed at ether 60 or 120 degrees then can be manipulated electronically with the controller (somewhat) their purpose is to drop the voltage back to ground as that segment passes to keep power delivery smooth and correctly timed, if the timing is off or a sensor has gone bad the motor will run choppy in or at certain points of the phase.

Back