Happy Times "no start" - "hard start" possible fix

Impression, spark is just one part of the equation. Fuel and air are the other 2 key components needed to make it all work well.

i thought the coil was in a sealed housing. isn't that where the spark plug wire is attached? i attached mine to vertical frame with cable ties and electrical tape. i can't achieve my first start either. i am pedalling hard then popping clutch. chain jams or no sound of firing. please help.

bill

Well done arceeguy. This is a very sensible mod for these engines, as long as the core is bent carefully to avoid creating gaps between the laminations and especially for those running lights from the white wire, (although that's not the best idea since it robs engine power).
I haven't done it yet, but I will tomorrow. My engine takes a little longer to start than it should and the spark is a little weak, so this might help. It makes good sense and will definitely increase the magneto's power output.
I'll report back in a day or so regarding results.
... Steve

I would disconnect that white wire, tape the end and forget it. I'm not an authority on this but the consensus that these are not very good light power sources and can lead to trouble seems clear enough. Why take a chance when you can get light from other sources?

As for the magneto, look at the front of the engine where the wiring enters. You'll see that it actually enters near a cover that can be removed. Under that you will find a magnet surrounded by a horseshoe shaped coil. Then follow the OPs directions regarding vice grips and business card "feeler gauges" and you should have it. I might give it a try myself. Good luck.

Well, I bent my coil core in to a business-card gap and it definitely improved starting. It usually takes about 20 feet to start mine and now it does it in half that.
For anyone with a weak spark, this is worth a go.
... Steve

Back