Hello do you think this is a good deal??

In my experience (while somewhat limited) I've actually found the contrary to be true when people says "you get what you pay for". I guarantee most companies you can buy a 49 or 66cc engine kit from for more than double the price as some people have suggested you do, will be absolutely 100% the exact same thing, probably purchased from the same overseas vendor, and just given some stupid name, maybe a $0.5 sticker you'll likely remove anyway, maybe specs inflated a bit, possibly if you're lucky $8 in new bolts and a 200% price increase. Don't waste the money on what will regardless be an inexpensive engine designed to be an inexpensive engine no matter what some greedy schmuck prices it at. Sure, there are some companies that do actually sell "high performance" engines(still a lot of times with extremely inflated horse power ratings and such or basically just gestimimates from never having actually put one on a dyno) but again, not really worth the money in my opinion when you can buy a larger engine that has a higher power output than a 66cc engine ever can for the same price. Then again I also see no logic behind spending $1000+ on a bicycle with an engine when you can buy a used motorcycle for that, so maybe I'm just biased in my thinking to keeping what is designed to be a cheap mode of transportation cheap.

In any case I bought a $69 kit from eBay (sellers name was radiatorpartscenter, it looks like their price has gone up since though) and it's been great so far and is an exact 1:1 match to the pk80 my friend spend $142 on from one of the well known US based vendors during a "sale". Surprisingly the eBay seller was far more helpful and accommodating than the large company charging double, and even split the cost of a new $22 chain with me because the one that came with the kit wouldn't work with my frame, which I really didn't expect. Also shipping was 2 day fedex to my door for free.
So in short there is definitely no rule, especially in this industry, that says you get what you pay for.
Those cheaper vendors tend to have older engines or factory seconds, and toss everything in one box with no packing material. Enjoy your unbalanced crank, broken cooling fins and dented gas tank.

In my experience (while somewhat limited) I've actually found the contrary to be true when people says "you get what you pay for". I guarantee most companies you can buy a 49 or 66cc engine kit from for more than double the price as some people have suggested you do, will be absolutely 100% the exact same thing, probably purchased from the same overseas vendor, and just given some stupid name, maybe a $0.5 sticker you'll likely remove anyway, maybe specs inflated a bit, possibly if you're lucky $8 in new bolts and a 200% price increase. Don't waste the money on what will regardless be an inexpensive engine designed to be an inexpensive engine no matter what some greedy schmuck prices it at. Sure, there are some companies that do actually sell "high performance" engines(still a lot of times with extremely inflated horse power ratings and such or basically just gestimimates from never having actually put one on a dyno) but again, not really worth the money in my opinion when you can buy a larger engine that has a higher power output than a 66cc engine ever can for the same price. Then again I also see no logic behind spending $1000+ on a bicycle with an engine when you can buy a used motorcycle for that, so maybe I'm just biased in my thinking to keeping what is designed to be a cheap mode of transportation cheap.

In any case I bought a $69 kit from eBay (sellers name was radiatorpartscenter, it looks like their price has gone up since though) and it's been great so far and is an exact 1:1 match to the pk80 my friend spend $142 on from one of the well known US based vendors during a "sale". Surprisingly the eBay seller was far more helpful and accommodating than the large company charging double, and even split the cost of a new $22 chain with me because the one that came with the kit wouldn't work with my frame, which I really didn't expect. Also shipping was 2 day fedex to my door for free.
So in short there is definitely no rule, especially in this industry, that says you get what you pay for.

You guarantee that every engine is the exact same thing huh? I guess you will find out that hard way that is not at all the case. Hey, you might get lucky on your $65 ebay special and it will work correctly but you are wrong to say that they are all the exact same.

Those cheaper vendors tend to have older engines or factory seconds, and toss everything in one box with no packing material. Enjoy your unbalanced crank, broken cooling fins and dented gas tank.
Right, so exactly the same thing you'd get from bike Berry for 3x the price. Isn't that what I just said, asshat.

You guarantee that every engine is the exact same thing huh? I guess you will find out that hard way that is not at all the case. Hey, you might get lucky on your $65 ebay special and it will work correctly but you are wrong to say that they are all the exact same.

Seriously guy, may I offer a simple suggestion? Try basic reading comprehension before putting words in people's mouths. If you don't understand the difference between most and literally every single one of a given thing, you probably aren't the leading authority to be questioning people on it. I mean really, do i need to provi a defintion for the word most? Maybe break down word for word how if most of the vendors I've encountered, in my already admittedly limited experience do something then that in no way encompasses "every single engine". Seriously genius, explain what of that extremely simple paragraph you can't quite grasp. Or is it the fact that you're one of said greedy vendors that have wet dreans about people like crazydan that actually believe they're getting higher quality parts with absolutely no way to prove otherwise
Lucky for you clowns I have ordered kits from three of what are seemingly the most popular US based vendors, with the intention of pulling each kit apart and comparing everything from the castings down to the hardware holding them together, and outlining the similarities and differences between said "high quality/high performance" kits and the absolute cheapest kit I could find in America. If you actually know someone other than dax or zeda selling 2 stroke kits that are definitetly not the same as a $60 chinese kit, I'd be delighted to check it out. However, as I said before, most vendors prices do not in anyway match their quality, and I completely stand by that, and in a week or two will be more than happy to comprehensively prove it.

Seriously guy, may I offer a simple suggestion? Try basic reading comprehension before putting words in people's mouths. If you don't understand the difference between most and literally every single one of a given thing, you probably aren't the leading authority to be questioning people on it. I mean really, do i need to provi a defintion for the word most? Maybe break down word for word how if most of the vendors I've encountered, in my already admittedly limited experience do something then that in no way encompasses "every single engine". Seriously genius, explain what of that extremely simple paragraph you can't quite grasp. Or is it the fact that you're one of said greedy vendors that have wet dreans about people like crazydan that actually believe they're getting higher quality parts with absolutely no way to prove otherwise
Lucky for you clowns I have ordered kits from three of what are seemingly the most popular US based vendors, with the intention of pulling each kit apart and comparing everything from the castings down to the hardware holding them together, and outlining the similarities and differences between said "high quality/high performance" kits and the absolute cheapest kit I could find in America. If you actually know someone other than dax or zeda selling 2 stroke kits that are definitetly not the same as a $60 chinese kit, I'd be delighted to check it out. However, as I said before, most vendors prices do not in anyway match their quality, and I completely stand by that, and in a week or two will be more than happy to comprehensively prove it.
OK let's start with the obvious. Getting butt hurt over someone disagreeing with you, and slinging around insults won't get you much credibility. Use the skills you are here suggesting others should acquire or possess to respectfully and clearly sustain your view of the subject.
I can't say for sure how many bikes I have built. I can say it's over 150 from the bikes I have purchased, then adding all the engine swaps and the builds others have brought to me I'm confident it is well near 200. In those I have used nearly every type of engine Kings sells, Skyhawks, Zedas, CDH, through my own purchases, and the el cheapo ebays have been brought to me by others both new and in need of repair. I would say in most cases the el cheapos were of lesser quality than the other vendors, even Kings.
I would be interested in the outcome of your research here, but your 1 time purchase of engines from several suppliers may not be quite a broad enough cross section of products to convince me that Dan is a asshat, or that Tyler is incapable of understanding the written language. It's far more likely their opinions through experiences just differ from yours. It's a forum, go figure.

Looks like we have a screeching millennial know-it-all in our presence. Nothing to see here, move along. He'll eventually lose his voice. PS: I am an asshat :p.

First off, I'm not stupid enough to say most or all of these little engines are the same unless I have purchased a number of these engines and compared them. Unless you have done that you are talking out your ass. I mean, how is it you know all this? You didn't mention any vendors by name except to say that "most" vendors (in your limited experience) none of whom you have purchased an engine from, are the same. Not only are you sure of this fact, you "guarantee it". Well, man, that is ignorance talking. You don't know what you are talking about by your own admission. I mean, have you actually purchased any china girl engine anywhere except the one from ebay? Do you even know what kind of engine you are buying? Does it have the shorter connection rod or the longer one? Does it have a balanced crank or not? Where is the wrist pin location on the piston located? Does it have a needle baring or a bushing? Can you even answer one of these questions?? Do you even understand these questions? Really, it doesn't sound like you know what all or most or any of these unnamed companies sell.

Secondly, I can only vouch for engines I have actually purchased. I built my first MB in 2011 and I got a cheap e-bay kit. The bearings came loose after about 500 miles and I scrapped it. I replaced my engine with a DaxF80 that Duane actually ported for me and that engine is still running after over 2000 miles. For my 2nd bike I purchased an engine from my friend who ported it all for me at his machine shop with a mill. I made sure to get one with a 40 mm stroke, not the 38mm stroke and only one with a balanced crank. On both of my engines I put high compression heads on, one is a Fred Head and the other is an imitation Fred Head to make them run better and cooler and last longer. But hey, you might get lucky with your ebay engine, they have actually changed alot since 2011, all I can say is good luck with it.

Last edited:
OTOH, any ebay POS kit will carry you down the road if you don't screw up the build

I guess what im really asking is it the same motor
You have to beware engines painted like this...

s-l640.jpg

That kind of sloppy painting can indicate a cover-up, literally ;-}
Personally I always used Grubee Skyhawk engines with great results.

Back