Hello everyone. Chris from BC

Going legal

Here where we are in BC gas motoredbikes are ILLEGAL to run on public roads. That is why I am "jumping through the hoops" required to license and insure my bike as a moped (limited motorcycle).

Requirements:
Engine BELOW 50 cc. (49.99999 cc is ok 50 cc. is NOT)
Headlight (Must adhere to MVA)
Tail light
Brake lights
License illuminator
Horn
Turn signals are NOT a requirement.

The "hoops":
Take the bike to a gov't weigh station
(where the weigh trucks on the highway)
and get an official weight cert.

Send in an application to ICBC (+$25) for a BC VIN.
Tell them which ICBC approved inspection station to
send the VIN plate to. Have them inspect the vehicle
and attach the VIN plate.

Take all of your receipts (to prove you actually own
the bike) and all of the above paperwork to any Autoplan
dealer and you can get a registration and insure the bike
as a "limited motorcycle".

Now you can ride the bike on any public roadway to a max speed of 70 KMH (Sure on 49 cc.). Using only your automobile drivers license! :D Insurance is cheap.

I think its worth it IMHO.

Gary

Good advice. Im sure its easier said than done tho.
Unfortunatly I have no licence right now (i will eventualy get it back), And I would like to see how one of these will ride before I legalize it. I just want to build one and ride it without drawing to much attention. Im sure discretion will pave the way for me. If I was to build one to register it, I would have to make it something quite special for it to be worth it, like a chopper or something.
I live a ways out of the city, and my work is close, so I wouldnt be riding anywhere near city traffic and if I stayed under 32Kph and didnt make a lot of noise, I would probably be overlooked if a cop did pass me by.

I have not yet purchased anything to start my project yet. I was thinking about a 50 or 70cc 2 stroke frame mount chain drive with a rear mounted gas tank that a saddlebag would easily camoflauge. I havent decieded on a frame tho, something like a common mtb would work i think, just to keep it simple and not attract to much attension. Mabey some side panals over the motor to mimick a battery pack with some e-bike decals on it. Ive heard rubber shims between some of the cooling fins help deaden the noise and a denser air filter can also minimize air intake noise. Im willing to sacrifice power for stealth, so im sure I could make this work.
If it walks ands talks like a duck, it must be a legal bike.

Back