Hello Out There

fretdoc

Local time
10:27 PM
Hi Everyone:
Came across this ite by accident and it sure jarred old memories. I first started after building a Soap Box Derby car and getting the idea of trying to power it with an old Maytag gas washing machine two stroke with a foot pedal starter. My big problem was that I was youn and inexperienced and the power takeoff was a flat surface flywheel. Never was able to rig up a flat belt to drive a soap box derby wheel. About a year later there were plans in one of the "popular" magazines probably Mechanics or Science on building a gas powered pusher trailer. I got dad to help (mainly financially) and with a small B&S engine, centrifigal clutch, Whizzer twist grip,etc. I got a pretty good running device. I built a trailer cover over the whole thing as I was only 14 at the time, too young for a California License. It ran really well and every time I saw a cop, I killed the motor with a remote switch and started pedaling.
I even painted a logo from a newpapaer on the trailer's side and put a fake load on the top. Worked Great! From that I graduated to a Vespa which Sears was selling in lime green under the brand "Allstate" at the time. I also had a Doodle Bug which there were a lot on the used market left from the war years commuting of defense workers.
Today I am sort of retired but in a moment of weakness I bought an electric motor scooter from a guy who won two on "Lets Make a Deal". My problem is battery charge trouble and refusal of the battery maker Optima, to honor their warrenty. Fortunately I am an attorney and can enforce my rights in court even though it is a lot of time and trouble.
Enjoy the contact and will welcome any questions. I am also a graduate engineer and grew up in a family where my dad mad model airplane engines (Pierce)
Fretdoc aka Jerry

Welcome to MBc, Jerry. Now that you have introduced yourself, be sure to read all you can, including the 'Stickies'. They contain a lot of information. For example, Sticky #1 under ‘Introduce Yourself’ has 20 or so links to “How To…” threads, and important pages for you to follow. Sticky # 3 has info on forums, how you are expected to conduct yourself, and where you might find and use various features. But, read all of them, and be sure to use the search feature. If you are still stumped, post your question in the proper Forum. Good Luck.

Back