Help me pick a kit please!

greenjon

Local time
6:38 PM
Edit: I now have gear picked out and I have a build thread going on at https://motoredbikes.com/threads/fito-modena-gt-2-49cc-4g-t-belt-sbp-shift-kit.52394/
Thanks for the help; this forum is awesome!

Hi, I'm just learning about motorized bikes and I'd appreciate advice on picking a kit.
The most critical use of the cycle will be the 100 mile trip (each way) over my local mountain pass. I'll be climbing from about 1000 feet to about 6000 and then dropping back down. I'm not sure of the exact grade, but I could get that info if it matters.
I don't care much about top speed, since much of this will be a steep climb and the rest will be a white knuckled downhill run.
I'm looking for a kit that can handle the steep grade for the hour or two it'll take to climb.
This is California so I'm limited to 4 HP if I understand correctly.
Please recommend general suggestions on what to look for or what to avoid, or specific kits, or even specific bikes that come already motorized. I'm limited to around $500 I suppose.
Thanks all! Great community here, I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around all the options.

Last edited:
Get the basic stock kit and maybe a 48 tooth gear. Bicycle_motor_works is a good dealer on eBay, there are others too but stick with what you know right? At least he manually checks all his parts before shipping so you'll have something reliable for the trip.

Buy some new brake pads and adjust them well, you'll minimize the chances they'll fail on either trip down. Good luck enjoy the view, since it's a mountain please wear your damn helmet.

you might want to consider a 4-stroke kit for greater dependability that far from home & tools

you might want to consider a 4-stroke kit for greater dependability that far from home & tools
Funny you mention that! I'm convinced that a 4-stroke would be worth the extra money!
At the moment I'm looking at the 49cc and 79cc 4-stroke kits from gasbike and kingsmotorbikes and bicycle-engines, but I'm open to any suggestions for which sellers, engines and kits are the best.

I'm leaning toward bicycle-engines based on what I've read here.

I just realized that a 49cc won't fit in my frame, so now I'm looking for a new frame too.

Last edited:
2-strokes are pretty easy to fix with tools and some spare parts that can be carried on a trip, but a good quality 4-stroke is less likely to break

I'm really old, so would not want to be 100 miles from home and broke down.

2-strokes are pretty easy to fix with tools and some spare parts that can be carried on a trip, but a good quality 4-stroke is less likely to break

I'm really old, so would not want to be 100 miles from home and broke down.

I hear that! Breaking down on a remote mountain pass is not my idea of a good time.
I'm pretty set on the 49cc 4-stroke at this point. I appreciate the suggestion.

a few things to consider.

- the 49cc HS-142F engine is large but you can remove the muffler and air intake cover as well as filing down the oil plug and trimming the throttle apparatus. I was able to fit the HS-142F into a tight mountain bike space when the outline of the original engine said I could not.
- if you are doing mountains and large hills then gearing is going to be important, which will also help you pick the right kit
- the default clutch with the small springs is garbage. i am almost certain the clutch bell is the wrong bell size for the clutch. either get a premium bigger clutch or get a smaller bell. i use a pocket bike bell that is ~.250 smaller than the default bell and I had no issues with the clutch with smaller springs now
- i mention the clutch because the HS-142F is a great engine (clone of Honda) and breaking clutch springs should be your only issue you might have to deal with on the road. hence, if you address that right away you should have a hassle free bike

Thank you for the info Bakaneko!
I have ordered a bike that I know it will fit in (Fito Modena). Fitting it does require some trimming.
I ordered the HS-142F with the transfer case with the 80 tooth sprocket for lower gearing.
The bike has 7 gears and I'm getting the SBP Shft Kit so that I can use them. It's all mountains here.
I appreciate the reminder abou the clutch! I have seen mention of that but it already slipped my mind. I'll put it on the list.
I have a bike build thread going at https://motoredbikes.com/threads/fito-modena-gt-2-49cc-4g-t-belt-sbp-shift-kit.52394/

okay. not to put any seeds of doubt but did you plan out the gearing for the SBP shift kit and your bike rear sprocket gears? I ask because I am actually going to (85% certain) to build an experimental electric bike and have been looking into electric bike engines a lot. some engines are mid drive so similar to gas bike engines with shift kits.

for these type, the gearing is very important for performance and also obtaining the optimal operating rpm of the electric engine. usually, the first gear on the bike sprocket is not high at all since its designed for human power. therefore, i think you need to compensate on the size of the sbp free wheel? i am not sure since I have never done a shift kit. what I mean is that you need to make sure your shift kit is designed for climbing hills given the bicycle gearing is designed for human power. it might be design for speed and not torque as you need for mountains.

might be good to get opinions from guys who have sbp shift kits to design it for max torque versus speed. if you were doing a direct drive this would be simple with getting a higher rear sprocket. cheers

ok, i might have mix up high and low gears. as you can tell, i am not entirely focused...

Back