Help! My Micargi chopper build needs brakes

Andrew DePiro

Local time
3:17 AM
So I built this Micargi Bronco chopper ..ive built many bikes but i'm really no expert on brakes ..rides good but it's gonna get me killed with just front brake..bike shop has no clue about that type of bike...they said cant disc brake the front because of the type of fork...rear has no brakes at all..price is not a problem..can someone recommend where to get brakes for the rear? maybe some kind of drum brake ? I had to have a pipe welded on frame it was a vibration nightmare..solved that issue.
thanks !

Attachments

• thumbnail_20170603_175221.jpg
    thumbnail_20170603_175221.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 385
drum on front might help, but all I can think of for back might be a wooden board to rub on tire

So I built this Micargi Bronco chopper ..ive built many bikes but i'm really no expert on brakes ..rides good but it's gonna get me killed with just front brake..bike shop has no clue about that type of bike...they said cant disc brake the front because of the type of fork...rear has no brakes at all..price is not a problem..can someone recommend where to get brakes for the rear? maybe some kind of drum brake ? I had to have a pipe welded on frame it was a vibration nightmare..solved that issue.
thanks !
I think I would make a bracket that extends from the kickstand bolt area to the place where the fender meets the top chainstays, then a small L bracket right angle deal to hold a side pull brake in that area between the 2 chains, might be one of the only ways other than a piece of wood..

thanks !
Disc break set up wouldn't be that hard just need a big rotor!The caliper mount can be affixed anywhere on the rear dropout.

Attachments

• 2017-06-21 01.21.34.jpg
    2017-06-21 01.21.34.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 150
I think I would make a bracket that extends from the kickstand bolt area to the place where the fender meets the top chainstays, then a small L bracket right angle deal to hold a side pull brake in that area between the 2 chains, might be one of the only ways other than a piece of wood..
Ok awesome thanks ! I will post pic when i finish it!

Disc break set up wouldn't be that hard just need a big rotor!The caliper mount can be affixed anywhere on the rear dropout.
I really wanted to say the same but looks like he's low on space all around, that would also include making or installing/welding brackets for disk calipers AND moving chains is likely.. The post in the middle thing is probably just as much annoying work but is a bolt in type fix and possibly easier to make happen even without welding, at least he can lap on a coat of paint without removing any first...

Hmm, maybe T bracket could help stability, maybe anchor the bottom of the "T" to the seat post or motor mount as some additional stability, you'll add a few extra pounds but these are motorized bikes after all..

Back