Exhaust Help! need advice on how to bend a exhaust without many or any tools?

Here's my advice ... Mark which directions bends go, it gets confusing when the pipe is off the bike. Chalk works good, takes the heat, or draw a sketch . Next anneal the pipe
where the bends go, a propane torch works good, you don't need to get the steel red hot,
just * real * hot, slow cooling is the secret, play torch over areas for 20 minutes, increasing the cool down time, and shortening the heating time. Slow cooled metal softens, and becomes easier to bend without cracking. The Exhaust flange needs to be held rigid for bending, * do not bend on bike ! * Hold in vice, or bolt down to wood.
Heat pipe until it just begins to glow, than bend, my radius was too tight, pipe hit bottom bracket, decreased radius, [ pulled up on pipe ] let cool, reheated, and used pipe wrench to persuade pipe to go a bit more right, by bending left. The re-bent pipe fit perfectly, solving the problem of crank interference, and bottom bracket clearance.
By all means, add a hardware store pipe strap to your exhaust to prevent vibration.
Baby your exhaust studs, Tighten until snug, use a second nut to lock threads,
LocTite won't take the heat. Let pipe heat up, and cool down a dozon times, than
snug down threads, and add jam nuts. I wouldn't screw with the exhaust flange, you'll end up with an ill fitting exhaust, and a power robbing restriction.

Do not bend pipe while still on bike ! Mark with chalk, put pipe in vice, figure out bend, heat pipe red hot, and bend as desired. I had to bend my pipe at two different angles, than it cleared. Also the heat shield is aprox. 80 degrees off.

its cheap mild steel. not freaking chrome vanadium steel with 0.8% carbon...

annealling. :rolleyes: why do i quench silver in hydrochloric acid to anneal it? and why doesnt copper worry whether its quenched or slowly cooled, either way, it still anneals?

i could ramble on about martensite and austenitic steels, but that will just confuse the issue. whats the curie point? whats the upper and lower critical temps? at what temperature will you experience phase change, with a subsequent change of dimensions? lol.

get it red hot, do it on the bike. do it cold, use a bench vise. if steel cracked from a minor cold forming process, we would still be in the bronze age...

Are you still looking for a solution? I took mine (after trying to heat and bend myself and having to buy a new muffler) to a weld shop. They put it on a saw,cut a notch in it, bent it, cut another knotch, welded both and it came out perfect. All for $20 bucks. You do have to take the bike with you to the shop.

If you have nothing...no tools...etc...can't figure how you got it mounted. Be that as it may, use some mystical force to remove the pipe, mark where it has to be bent, and take it to your local muffler shop. I'm sure you have something comparable to MIDAS Muffler, or Meineke Muffler, of some similar shops. Take your pipe (off the bike) and your bike...I'll bet they'll make it right and charge you nothing.
Patrick

Most simple method is sometimes the best.

I just placed the exhaust in the fork of a decent sized tree and grabbed a bit of 2 inch pipe, placing it around the muffler.
It was quite easy to bend the exhaust pipe to the angle required.

Back