Hi from Larry in Milwaukie OR

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by larbear7, Jun 20, 2008.

1. larbear7

larbear7 New Member

I am new to forums and motored bikes. I am looking to add propulsion to my mountain bike for commuting to work and small jaunts here and there. I am a jack of all trades master of none.:roll: I have been and will continue to read prior posts to fill my head with knowledge. Thank you for having this forum it will help me greatly.....

Larry

<
  2. Hi,
    I'm in Milwaukie too! No motor yet, but a candidate that I will motor soon...

3. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Welcome to MBc. Maybe you two can get together and help each other. There are times when a third or fourth hand would be convenient. (I spent some years living in West Linn).

4. larbear7

larbear7 New Member

Sorry I have been so busy I havn't checked to see if anyone left me a message I work a lot. I just got my kit today!

5. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

What kind of kit are you using?

6. larbear7

larbear7 New Member

What Kit?

I got the basic 80cc "Happy Time" kit from Bob at BlueCollarBikes. Very happy with his service by the way.:smile:
    I know the state of Oregon limits a motored bike to less than 50cc, but how is a cop supposed to know how many cc's it is. I agree with another member here, I don't think they carry calipers do you?!?:shock: Anyway I got the larger one cuz I work at OHSU and I want to be able to go up the hill. I will just have to resist the need for speed, you are not supposed to be able to go over 25mph either.

7. augidog

augidog New Member

i guess if i was a cop, i'd start reading MBc ;)

welcome aboard :cool:

8. larbear7

larbear7 New Member

Your right! I did have that wrong.:mad: I was thinking of this passage off of the ODOT website. As long as they don't know the engine is over 35cc it is classified as a motor-assisted scooter which does not require it to be titled and registered. Technically my configuration would be clasified as a moped.:( I just hope they can't tell...

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/pocketbike_factsheet.shtml

A motor-assisted scooter:

is designed to be operated on the ground with not more than three wheels;
    has handlebars and a foot support or seat;
    can be propelled by human or motor;
    has a motor capable of propelling it no faster than 24 miles per hour on a level road; and
    has a motor no bigger than 35 cubic centimeters or, if electric, has a power output of no more than 1,000 watts.
    (ORS 801.348)

9. You might be willing to take the risk anyway. I have tinted windows that are technically illegal (too dark), but no one ever mentioned it, even when I got a speeding ticket.