Hi from Northern, CA!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by akyramoto, Jun 17, 2008.

  1. akyramoto

    akyramoto Member

    Hey!! sorry I posted a few times in other sections before I realized I was supposed to start here!! oops. anywhoo We have two Whizzers, both 2005's, one blue one red, very cool lots of fun. Still getting everything worked out so we can legally ride them around here.

    this is my new favorite forum. lol.

  2. mark2yahu

    mark2yahu Member

    hello akyramoto...those whizzers are beauties! so far i have just submitted a registration form for my bike...the dmv calls mine a moped...so i have to register it as such. no biggie, it costs eighteen bucks a year. i just don't know if california needs us to have insurance on it.
  3. akyramoto

    akyramoto Member

    I tried calling 21stcentury insurance today, they do not offer 'motorcycle' insurance, and could not tell me if I would need insurance. I'm getting ready to register the Whizzers, although waiting on the paper work for the second one.

    interesting that it def has to be registered as a moped. good to know. I'm trying to get some contact lenses so I can pass the eye exam for the M2 license. or whichever one you get for a moped. I'm curious if after you have the M2 - then can you ride at night?

    So it's not a one time fee for plates? the guy I got it from told me thats what they did. Hmm..it'll be nice when it's all figured out & done & I can ride that thing all over the place with no worries.
  4. mark2yahu

    mark2yahu Member

    Hi Akyramoto;

    Oh good, that saves me the call to 21st Century. I'm guessing the DMV will let us know if we need insurance or not. Even the motorcycle handbook says to contact our insurance company, lolol, but doesn't say if the law requires it.

    I heard the class M2 license allows you to drive at night, so long as there are no eye conditions stated by your doctor, and it is contingent with the eye exam you take at the DMV.

    I think this is helpful...California law... 5030 states: A motorized bicycle, as defined in Section 406,is required to display a special license plate issued by the department.

    And here's the California definition of a "moped" or "motorized bicycle:" 2 or 3 wheels, fully operative pedals or no pedals but electric motor; automatic transmission, a motor that generates < 2 gross brake horsepower; capable of max speed of not more than 30 mph on level ground.

    I do think it's a 1 time fee for plates, but like car registration, moped registration is ongoing.
  5. graucho

    graucho Active Member

    Hi akyramoto. Welcome to MBc!

    If you search and are unable to find your answers, don't hesitate to post your question. Someone will steer you to a link, or reply to your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :grin:
    You may have seen this, but here's a great MBc starter "link" to get you motoring.
  6. akyramoto

    akyramoto Member

    I also called state farm - their response was since I would not be driving 'with' cars on the road ( but in the bike lane instead) I do not need insurance.

    Sweet, I'm happy to hear that if you have an M2 you can ride at night. Seemed almost pointless to have something that had all these rad lights but were unable to use them at night!

    Good stuff. Yup I gotta get myself one contact lens, I have one bad eye, I passed the regular licesnse vision exam with a lens, so hopefully it should work out.