Homemade expansion chamber

TIG is the answer if you can buy the gear.
Less heat distortion and works well with thin metal.
Need gas and a DC welder.
Tig would make it enormously easier, even mig, if you want to head to that then definitely do it, arc is my flavor and it suits me well. Nothing feels as accomplishing as the fine spray of warm shattered flux to the face, like striking gold you just materialized out of thin air.

The MIG needs to be gas shield and not flux-core. A lot of guys have "needles" poke thru the joint, not that it affects flow. Just kinda funny.

View attachment 75709 I'm trying to make an expansion chamber, cause I need one and why not.
I'm not doing this the right way, to be honest.
Well, it helps to know exactly what an Expansion Chamber does, How, and Why before you make a pipe ;-}

2-stroke engines have raw fuel waste out the tailpipe, an Expansion Chamber is a TUNED pipe that shoves some of that raw fuel back in before it fires again.

Just follow the raw Green gas...

expansion_chamber.gif

If your pipe is not tuned you may not be getting any fuel back in, or shoving everything back in including spent fuel exhaust.

The shape and size of the chamber determines how much of a reverse boost you get, but it's the length of the header pipe that sets the timing, and timing is crucial.

Last edited:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 260
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Exhaust wrap will cut a lot of the noise. Might want to run it a while first to see if you have any leaks that need repaired before wrapping. So if the pipe is gangsta, and you wrap it. Does that make you a, oh forget it.

Exhaust wrap will cut a lot of the noise. Might want to run it a while first to see if you have any leaks that need repaired before wrapping. So if the pipe is gangsta, and you wrap it. Does that make you a, oh forget it.
Lol good one brother!

modified the pipe a little bit. changed stinger to 3/4". that quieted things down and its running really good. there are still some pinholes holes in the pipe, gotta find em.
IMG_9073.JPG
IMG_9071.JPG

Back