Hoot rebuild testers!

So, Hoot's back together! It's quiet and road worthy. I road it 10 miles today w/o incident.
I'll check in on it regularly for wear, but shimming and hardening have definately helped!

So, Hoot's back together! It's quiet and road worthy. I road it 10 miles today w/o incident.
I'll check in on it regularly for wear, but shimming and hardening have definately helped!

Can you tell me if you have the little 10T fixed sprocket that came with the Hoot then what sprocket have you got on the rear wheel? If it's the 44T they come with isn't it hopelessly slow like the 56T was on the Grubee?
I'd like to know about these things and the general feel of the bike under power. Also is it a Mark 2 Hoot like the one in the picture below? I've never used this GB cos I haven't thought it worthwhile and I think the 10T drive with the 44T rear wouldn't work at all and would mean running around at peak revs at about 24 mph. If I have to temper the gears I might do so but I'd want discount off what I paid for the kit. Does the Mark2 in the picture need tempering?

Attachments

• PICT0013.jpg
    PICT0013.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 298
My gb is a "hoot copy" i.e. no jl on the front w/ spiral gears. It is a 10 tooth front and 44 rear it is a tad slow. But, as I mentioned before, it is hilly here and if I'm not going up I'm probably going down and I can coast/pedal then. I like it, it's relatively smooth especially if you pedal a bit at the start.
The JL Hoot that I've inspected to be hardened next has been machined to tighter tolerences Than mine, I expect minimal shimming, if any. The gear on the clutch bell appears to be the only one wearing on this one. It has straight cut gears if that helps for id.
There'll be at least one additional JL Hoot thrown into the inferno. So I can Keep ya'alls posted if ya like. It turns out that the technique used is a case hardening one which shouldn't leave the gears too brittle but safer to temper them for good measure.

The Firetoad Admits Defeat?
Well... No!

But my clutch broke last week and, it seems, would have broke soon after from something completely different had the first breakage been curtailed.

The Hoots are really pieces of work. I know that I was told so. And I'm glad I tried to fix some. 1st of all, making really hot fires is always fun, and I also learned some things.

The Hoot and Grubee boxes have 2 primary design flaws and potentially endless secondary problematic enherencies. The clutch gear deflects away from the driven gear and, on the hoot at least, is unhardenable. The grubee gear is larger but still, by design, will have a deflection tenancy.

Soon there will be options, though; several "American Designs" in the works!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, troubling Irish John w/ a barney here and there about this gb cactus has been fun too! Err.... uhh... Did I say that right?

Oh yeah, troubling Irish John w/ a barney here and there about this gb cactus has been fun too! Err.... uhh... Did I say that right?

The Hoot is thus declared officially "cactus" by all those members gifted with eyesight and the ability to form an opinion. The Grubee works OK - never mind the deflection and you'd need to be inside the GB at speed to measure the deflective force away from the clutch. I know you aren't small enough to fit in there yourself so this deflective force is as yet unproven. I haven't heard of anyone's clutch gear breaking up or flying off on a Grubee. I reckon this is a rumour put out by those scientists who defected from the Hoot Research Institute last year and are upset that the Chinese goverment is ecstatic that they've gone over to the US side. In fact the Chinese secret service asked them to hurry up and defect but they thought that meant hurry up and deflect and so they tried to make their beloved gearbox deflect just like FireBelly has stated.

Err... Uhhh. Yeah, John I think you've nailed it.
Except that it's obvious I don't fit in the gearbox. Duhhh. I sent a "Rat Scientist" in there w/ a flashlight, pen and somethin' to write on. All he said it was "it's too loud to think in there; clutch gear's deflecting away from the driven gear 'cause theres no support at the end of the crank shaft. I, personally, thought it was proposterous until I proved able to flex the cs w/ me own hands (aarrggh). It's been fun think this thread is done!

Back