Exhaust How can I reduce the exhaust noise?

We used to put the coarse steel wool in a coffee can and drill holes around the can for several reasons. #1 a place for the oil to drain, #2 you can drill it while the motor is running to get past the choking syndrome and #3 you can add more holes if it is too quiet for you without destroying the original pipe.
I always wanted to run a diverter valve to run a quiet low power motor in town then flip the lever to open it up outside of town.
Doc

I built my muffler as a scaled down auto glass pack. It uses an 1 1/4" outer jacket with end bells on each end and a 7/8" steel baffle tube that is sandwiched between the bells. The baffle tube has 74 3/16" holes drilled in it but it's still a straight pipe. The baffle tube is wrapped in fiber glass pipe insulation and inserted into the jacket and the outlet bell is installed into the jacket as well. The bells are held in place with two machine screws so the muffler is re-packable.

I made my own muffler last weekend and IT ROCKS ! I had the stock macculloch one that I had opened the ports up a little and it just wasn't what i was shooting for. So I made one from some plumbing parts, aluminum tube, a small spray paint can and some jb weld. Sounds SO much better - deeper more like a 4 stroke. and gained 2 mph top speed - maybe lost a teeny bit of low/midrange but worth it.

Try putting steel wool inside the muffler a little at a time untill noise level that you like is achieved.

Can you, or anyone else, please explain how to do this. Do you use a piece of steel wool the length of the muffler and roll it so it just covers circularly the inside but still with room for airflow? - - - Is this correct? :rolleyes:

Can you, or anyone else, please explain how to do this. Do you use a piece of steel wool the length of the muffler and roll it so it just covers circularly the inside but still with room for airflow? - - - Is this correct? :rolleyes:

i really dont think it would matter either way. i would do a circular around the inside but eventually it will probablly just turn into a ball anyway. you could get muffler packing from the auto parts store too. its a thin roll of fiberglass that looks soft but trust me it isnt lol. that worked the best for me. but i like loud, so i removed it lol

edit: looking back at this thread it looks like i contredicted myself. judjung from what i typed when i was actually doing this, keep the airflow open lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Think glasspacks.
Use rolled chicken wire/metal mesh equivalent to keep the exhaust flow open
and the steel wool between the mesh and the wall of muffler.

I've never used steel wool, I use FmF muffler packing.
It works great and lasts quite awhile.

Last edited:
Back