How far can I safely grind away the front tube mount?

Wyatt. A.

Local time
9:08 AM
To make the engine sit lower. About how far back can I grind away the front frame mount on the engine?
About 1/4" to 3/8"???

Post some pics of how the motor is mounted right now...I wouldn't grind away at all on the tubing, it is too thin on most bikes to begin with and you risk snapping the frame tubing due to motor and road vibration.

After seeing some pics, an alternative method can be offered to you.

Post some pics of how the motor is mounted right now...I wouldn't grind away at all on the tubing, it is too thin on most bikes to begin with and you risk snapping the frame tubing due to motor and road vibration.

After seeing some pics, an alternative method can be offered to you.
I think he's talking about the engine case portion of the mount.

I missed that Gordy...lol.

Also Wyatt, why do you want to lower it any further???
I don't know, just to make it sit lower, so there isn't a big gap under the engine.
Yeah I meant grinding the aluminum on the engine. I took some off the flat side on the back mount...

I don't know, just to make it sit lower, so there isn't a big gap under the engine.
If it is sitting in a position where it is not hitting anything like the chainstays with the chain and it is properly aligned with the sprocket etc, etc, etc,, I would just leave it alone...Look how high I have mine mounted and everything just clears, sometimes with a gap between moving objects that you can barely fit a matchbook cover in between...lol.

Everything is a totally custom tight fit...lol.

DSCN0229.JPG

you can take some off it off. I had to take my largest file (20"x1.5" and quite coarse) to my case in order to get it to fit. Thankfully it's cast chinesium and didn't take very long. As long as you don't compromise the case itself it should be fine in most cases.

Make sure you do it in such a way that the shavings do not get into the engine.

In my case the angle of the tube on my frame was wrong because my frame is smaller than most but the front tube is oversized (not a bad thing) and the original cast mount on the engine didn't fit so I hand filed it to fit. Worked quite well I'm probably about 800 miles in at this point.

Just be aware of where the case itself starts and the mount starts and don't futz around with the case itself.

One thing to consider when attempting to mount the motor lower is the path of the chain. Will it hit the chain-stay? I noted that as you move the back of the motor south down the seat tube, the angle of attack for the lower part of the chain gets closer and closer to the chain stay... both the front of the stay as well as the inside-side of the stay...

Thats the info I was looking for.

you can take some off it off. I had to take my largest file (20"x1.5" and quite coarse) to my case in order to get it to fit. Thankfully it's cast chinesium and didn't take very long. As long as you don't compromise the case itself it should be fine in most cases.

Make sure you do it in such a way that the shavings do not get into the engine.

In my case the angle of the tube on my frame was wrong because my frame is smaller than most but the front tube is oversized (not a bad thing) and the original cast mount on the engine didn't fit so I hand filed it to fit. Worked quite well I'm probably about 800 miles in at this point.

Just be aware of where the case itself starts and the mount starts and don't futz around with the case itself.

Thanks yall.

Back