How To Install Disk Brakes On 26" Huffy Cranbrook Men's beach Cruiser Bike?

YetiWoodz

Local time
10:50 PM

So, this is my front tire. Since it doesn't have sprockets and chains attached to it, it looks easier. Do I weld that adapter piece (the ring with 6 holes) to the hub? The adapter is made of aluminum. Also, how exactly would I attach it on the rear tire hub? Would I put it on the side with the motor sprocket and chain or the pedal sprocket and chain? And between which nuts/washers? I'm using the Bike Berry Flying Horse 2 stroke 60cc/80cc engine kit. The disk brakes are the RUJOI 160mm disk brakes I got on Amazon.

your best bet is to get wheels that accept disc brakes. your better off using a quality set of wheels on your bike than relying on those cheap wheels. your wheels are the most important part of your build. if you are using those wheels i would suggest clean and lube and adjust the bearings. you will need a tig welder if you want to weld aluminum and youll need to make sure they get welded perfectly straight. id look on craigslist or something like that for a good used set of wheels.

Ok. So I showed this to my friend. He was able to drill holes in the hub that line up with the adapter. Then he tapped and threaded the holes. Then he put longer screws in and put a washers and nuts on the other side. It was a success!!! We were able to attach the disk brake securely to the hub with no problems. Then I found disk brake frame adapters on Amazon that would allow me to attach the caliper to the non-disk brake fork. I have yet to see if they work.

Make sure to reinforce the forks. They'll twist and rip apart with that amount of force.

There are many pics out there on disk brake adapters failing on forks that weren't expecting those additional stresses. Just don't look up "huffy cranbrook disk brake fail" (my bike is shown 5 times in the first 20 photos) or "huffy cranbrook disk brake failure" (that search needs 30 images to show 5 of my bike) on duckduckgo. For some reason My Personal bike pops up first, and I don't even have disk brakes!!!!! Maybe it's because I have a front fork that accepts disk brakes and I haven't gotten a front wheel that takes disk brakes yet?

Last edited:
I've pedaled around on a Cranbrook before giving it away. I'd say the stem, forks and the rims are the worst parts of the bike. Find one and take a hammer to it and that will tell you everything you need to know. I'm not totally against them. Seen some cool bikes built with the frame. I'll never be the guy that buys the most expensive parts and I like making existing parts work while adding improvements. You might be able to find a good donor mountain bike or find some good triple clamp forks. The hub mounting sounds solid, will be looking forward to seeing the rest.

I am one of the idiots that put high end parts on a cranbrook... the fork alone costs more than the entire cranbrook stock. My next upgrade will probably be a front disk. Might keep my front rim brake as backup (or maybe the disk will be backup, seems to fade faster!).

Ok. So I showed this to my friend. He was able to drill holes in the hub that line up with the adapter. Then he tapped and threaded the holes. Then he put longer screws in and put a washers and nuts on the other side. It was a success!!! We were able to attach the disk brake securely to the hub with no problems. Then I found disk brake frame adapters on Amazon that would allow me to attach the caliper to the non-disk brake fork. I have yet to see if they work.
He put hot glue in between the adapter a
Make sure to reinforce the forks. They'll twist and rip apart with that amount of force.
What do you recommend to add to the forks to reinforce it?

Back