Hub adapter for hub under 1 inch?

Dang, my 33c road bike gave me uh butt problems. Hope you can at least fit a 40c between your forks

I was thinking along the lines of something like this...
View attachment 85774
... which has a rim brake compatible (cheap but) double wall 700c rim. The (cheap) hub requires a cassette but it has the disc rotor mount for sprocket attachment. (It comes with a cheap cassette if you tick the box.)
Not a quality product, I know, but it allows use of a securely hub mounted sprocket and a rim brake.

Note that the original poster is showing a US spec 30 year old plus bike. Your linked post is listed in the UK, shipping alone would make this a no-go. If the wheel you're suggesting is set up for a 7speed or greater cassette gear it, won't fit in his dropouts with out spreading the rear frame. Everything you're suggesting is adding more cost.

A: It's an ancient old *10 speed* which means **5 speed freewheel only**, which means that these really rare, to impossible, to find in anything short of a single wall steel or very cheap single wall aluminum rim with a similar less than 1" diameter hub.

This would be an expensive custom wheel build. I've been a bike mechanic for over 30 years, I know what's available and what works and what it will cost. Short of this fellow having access to a community bike center that's falling over itself to give away free or next to free wheel building, he doesn't have much options.

Note that the original poster is showing a US spec 30 year old plus bike. Your linked post is listed in the UK, shipping alone would make this a no-go. If the wheel you're suggesting is set up for a 7speed or greater cassette gear it, won't fit in his dropouts with out spreading the rear frame. Everything you're suggesting is adding more cost.

A: It's an ancient old *10 speed* which means **5 speed freewheel only**, which means that these really rare, to impossible, to find in anything short of a single wall steel or very cheap single wall aluminum rim with a similar less than 1" diameter hub.

This would be an expensive custom wheel build. I've been a bike mechanic for over 30 years, I know what's available and what works and what it will cost. Short of this fellow having access to a community bike center that's falling over itself to give away free or next to free wheel building, he doesn't have much options.

It was just an example of what I was thinking about. I was only able to post a UK listing of that cheap Chinese wheel because the results are prioritised on the ebay app. I wasn't actually suggesting he buy from a UK shop.

The dropout width on an old five rear speeds bike is 120mm so it will need to be "cold set" to permanently spread the frame using a threaded rod or a length of 2x4. The frame is certainly high tensile steel so this will be fine. It's 7.5mm each side which is about as far as anyone would want to go, but I don't see this as being too much.
But yes he would need the cassette to be included, and he would need a seven speed shifter, possibly a derailleur too.

Or he could buy an entire new (used) bike.
And for what it's worth, I would take that option too!
I was only putting it out there that there's options to consider besides a new bike or the stock cheesy rag joint. Some people grow attached to their own old bike. I know I do, it's why my apartment is full of them. :)

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Coldsetting a rear triangle on a spindly road bike powered by a bike engine through a sprocket to the rear wheel?

Yeah, nothing could possibly go wrong here.

Back