Huge Problem with front Engine mount...

Johnny, if you'd posted those pictures at the start you would have saved a lot of wasted talking. It can only be fixed by welding if you still have the part that chipped off. I have only welded the chain sprocket cover which split into three bits when the chain got sucked into it. That weld was as strong as the original. The HTS 2000 stuff shown in the video will do the job. Hope you have the bits that broke off. If you haven't got the bits then probably forget it and get a new motor & keep the old one for spares. Judging by the damage to your downtube I was wondering if the motor was badly mounted to start with. If the steel studs were forced outwards to fit around the tube then that would have cause this whole thing to happen. That would be what broke the side off the threaded hole.
That mounting method I showed you earlier is the way to go cos it works and it looks tidy.

front motor mount

Irish Johns mount set up is a good idea. I did the same thing on my buddy's "moon dog'. I would, however, suggest going to your local auto parts store and buying a helicoil kit for the stripped holes. This will allow you to repair the holes and retain the original size of m6x1.0. This is a very common fix in the automotive industry.

What's happened to this thread? Has the moderator moved it or something cos it's not going back through pages properly & I can't find my earlier post?
If you go to page1 you cant get back to page 2,3 or 4?

Judging by the damage to your downtube I was wondering if the motor was badly mounted to start with. If the steel studs were forced outwards to fit around the tube then that would have cause this whole thing to happen. That would be what broke the side off the threaded hole.

Well when I put the engine on, I bent the frame at those 2 areas so I wouldnt have to drill through it. The studs cleared fine from my perspective, but perhaps there was residual pressure. I also don't think any of this was wasted talk, some of the methods can be used by someone else some other time.

However, its safe to close thread. Bottom Line, need to engine.

Thanks to all those who attempted to help,

John

Looking at the damage, it looks like there might be enough metal left to drill a bolt hole directly trough the sides of the mount. I would clean up and flatten the sides with an angle grinder and drill straight through from right to left side. Then you could bolt a bracket of some type to secure the sides of the mount and to the frame. I'd do as thin a hole as possible, rather have the bolts break off than more of the mount. Might need to relocate the magneto wires to new hole to get the job done.

Last edited:
Back